Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,
(I apologize in advance for the long post). My old puppy is doing SO well... she's learned several commands: no, sit, down, shake, leave-it. Her potty training is coming along nicely most of the time. She seems super comfortable around my hubby and I. She loves to snuggle, and be with us. Every thing is great until night time comes. ... sigh

She's a few days over two months old, and we've had her for almost two weeks. At first, she slept in a doggy bed in the living room while I slept on the couch. THis went on for about 4 days. At the end of that time, she would start whining to get up on the couch with me and abandon her bed. A couple of times I caved in and let her sleep with me (I think that's where I went wrong). Then, we put her in a bathroom at night. Of course that did not work. She whined and cried all night. On Monday, I bought a crate for her. I thought that would be the solution to our problems. It's been a terror... she screams all night. I even slept in the same room with her for the last two nights (her in the crate beside the couch and me on the couch). I've gotten virtually 0 sleep. I take her out twice every night period- once at 1 a.m. and once at 5 a.m. She screams after she's put back in her crate each time (even worse than before I took her outside).

Again, other than that she's doing great. She's worth it, but I"M TIRED :(

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Since you've babied her crating will take longer for her to get used to, my advice would be just let her whine it out and don't ever give in. You are doing the obvious things for her to like her crate more?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
she's only 8 weeks and you already had her for two weeks? She left her littermates and momma way too early. There's alot of things that puppies learn from her momma. I hope you socialize her really well.

Dont give in to her crying at night. She will learn that whenever she makes a fuss about being in her crate, you will give in to her. Whenever I have an 8 week old puppy, I give up my good night sleep for a week or two. I take the pup out every couple of hours at night to do his/her business and then back to the crate they go. Screaming/whinning is normal for puppies at that age. They miss the comfort of being with their momma and littermates. You just have to be firm if you really want her to be crate trained. DONT GIVE IN. It is heartbreaking, but the reward of it is sweet in the end. Also, if you are crate training, stick to it. Dont use the crate today, the bathroom tomorrow and the bed the next. Stick with a routine.

GOOD LUCK. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you so much for the replies. Oops...Correction... she turned two months on Tuesday... she's a little over nine weeks now. sorry about the typo- She was a little over seven weeks when we got her. I do realize now that she may have left her litter mates too early though.

Last night was difficult again. I slept on the couch near her crate again. The only time she'll calm down (besides when she tires her self out enough to fall asleep) is when I talk to her. I've been talking to her every night, trying to soothe her. Should I not do this? Should I just ignore her crying instead?

Yes, I'm going to be firm about the crate now that we have it. We've used it now every night since Monday. We're trying to make it a fun place for her... with toys and lots of comfort. Also, we've started feeding her in there.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Morgan was a crate cry-er when he was little, too. Big time.

Like everybody else has said, do not give in to the crying! Don't look, don't talk, don't move, nothing to acknowledge the noisy puppy. What I did with Morgan, though, was I would get up and give attention when he would quiet down. That way, he got the idea that nothing would happen for his noise, but being calm was rewarded. It only needs to be a few seconds of quiet at first, and then gradually increase the wait time. The first couple weeks for me were looooooooooong nights with little sleep, but he did figure it out.

You can also try to figure out roughly WHEN she's crying at night, that will help you curb the crying before it starts. For instance, after Morgan was put to bed (usually around 10pm), he would wake up to cry during the night at about 1am and 4:30am. So I started to set my alarm for 12:30am and 4am, BEFORE his internal clock got him up and crying. At those times I would get up, take him outside, put him back to bed, and go back to bed myself.

Also, I always made sure that the last thing I did with Morgan before bedtime was take him out to potty. That way I KNEW if he started crying right away, it wasn't because he had to pee, so I could ignore him until he settled down without worrying about a mess. :D

I spent his first week home sleeping on the couch in the same room with his crate before moving up to my own bedroom, too. So that isn't a bad idea, just don't give in. It's hard, but fight it!

Feeding her in the crate is a great idea, too. Anything to make the crate her "happy place". :)

Keep it up! Puppies are difficult, and they will try to push your buttons, but as you said yourself, it is SO rewarding once everything is on track! Good luck!! I hope something in my long, long post helps. :cool:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the great advise. I will ignore her crying (as difficult as that may be).

Btw maxfox426, my puppy's "whining" schedule is almost exactly like the schedule that your puppy had. I'll definately follow the advise about setting the alarm for a little before the whining usually happens. That sounds so simple, but I never would have thought of that.

Cheers!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you for the great advise. I will ignore her crying (as difficult as that may be).

Btw maxfox426, my puppy's "whining" schedule is almost exactly like the schedule that your puppy had. I'll definately follow the advise about setting the alarm for a little before the whining usually happens. That sounds so simple, but I never would have thought of that.

Cheers!

Glad I could help! It really is hard to ignore the crying, and it will still take some time and a lot of patience, so hang in there! You can do it! :D

It took me a little while to come up with the alarm trick, but Morgan started to give up on the crate-crying a whole lot faster when I was ahead of the game... rather than waiting for him to stop. And it was a whole lot less frustrating for me as well. ;)

Your puppy may still cry after you put her back to bed those times during the night, but in my experience, that little bit of attention was all Morgan needed (plus a potty break!) and he would settle back down again and go back to sleep.

·
Registered
473 Posts
By no means should you follow me, but I was in the same position and I quit. I tried the crate thing for about 3 or 4 nights and decided I valued sleep more than ensuring my dog was crate trained and gave up. Though I can see the advantages of having a crate trained dog, Toby is not and he's just fine!! Instead, he slept in the kitchen with a baby gate up and he was much more comfortable with that. Once he was reliably house-trained he moved up to our bedroom where he's been ever since!!!

Ideally I would think crate training is the way to go, I just don't want you to feel like it's a must as some would have you believe. If it works, great!! If not, that's fine too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LARGE step forward! :D
Last night my husband and I both slept in our bed (in a different room from her crate). We ignored any whining completely. We only went in to take her outside three times in the night. (only once when she cried to go out... the other two times we had pre-set the alarm as suggested). She whined and cried a bit at times when she went back into her crate, but only for very short amounts of time. Most of the time she slept!!!

She was sound asleep when I woke up this morning at 8:30 (two hours later than usual)! I am SO proud of her! ...and SO grateful for the great advice!!!

Oh almost forgot to say- last night before bedtime she went into her crate several times on her own! That made us hopeful that last night would be better- and it was. I feel so rested;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
LARGE step forward! :D
Last night my husband and I both slept in our bed (in a different room from her crate). We ignored any whining completely. We only went in to take her outside three times in the night. (only once when she cried to go out... the other two times we had pre-set the alarm as suggested). She whined and cried a bit at times when she went back into her crate, but only for very short amounts of time. Most of the time she slept!!!

She was sound asleep when I woke up this morning at 8:30 (two hours later than usual)! I am SO proud of her! ...and SO grateful for the great advice!!!

Oh almost forgot to say- last night before bedtime she went into her crate several times on her own! That made us hopeful that last night would be better- and it was. I feel so rested;)

Hooray! :D Glad to hear things are going well!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One last HAPPY update... then I'll quit hogging the forum...

She's doing great! Last night she slept all the way through the night until 5:30 a.m. when she needed to be let out. (She slept unimpeded for 6.5 hours)!

Also, she often walks into her crate and even takes naps in there now on her own.

Thanks again so much! Your ideas were wonderful:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts