Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, this is my second post (yay!) and so far I've had my little angel (if you could call him that) for about 2 and a half months or so, maybe a bit less. He's been a good little puppy at 4-and-a-bit months, and he is really getting used to potty training outside but still a few accidents here and there but that's to be expected. General obedience is going well, but recall is still a bit shabby but we are working on it. Anyway, my main concern is why can't he hold it the whole night? How can I encourage him to do so and what am I doing wrong? I heard they can hold it at night at around 3.5 months.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Honestly, it sounds like right now he's NOT fully physically capable of holding it overnight, especially since it's so urgent that he'll go in his crate if you don't take him out. Remember that a lot of the guidelines like "A puppy can hold it X hours when they're Y months old" are just that - guidelines or estimates of the 'average' puppy's ability. And even those guidelines tell us that most dogs are not fully physically capable of controlling their bladders until around 6 months. Each dog develops at a slightly different pace, and you have to adjust your strategy and expectations to the dog in front of you. Little pups especially have little bladders, and many seem to not be able to 'hold it' as long as larger breed pups their same age.

You're already restricting water, so imo, right now he just needs that early morning potty break. Even though he barks. If you keep going like this, he may learn that the crate is okay to pee in because you're giving him no other choice. It'll be frustrating for a bit, but if you stick to a schedule - let him out for as short and boring a pee break as possible, then right back into the crate - he'll eventually learn that this is the routine and settle down, and/or grow out of needing the early morning breaks in a few more weeks. But yes, that means he'll probably spend a few days or weeks fussing in the crate before he gets the message.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I got up once a night with my very small pom till he was 12 months I think. Though I think near the end he was doing it out of habit than out of need. I finally just let him cry and didn't let him out. No accident. The next night I don't even know if he cried and he's been mostly fine since then. He sleeps on my bed now but every now and then he has an accident (he's very small so I don't always hear him get up) He is just not as capable at being able to hold it as much as my other dogs are. I think he WILL hold it in a crate, but out of a crate he just doesn't seem as capable or willing (he's crated if I'm out of the house). During the day at home I haven't had an accident in 4months, but he often has to go out more than my other dogs.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Three months? Yikes. I mean, I'm sure some pups are capable of it at that age, but I'm not sure I'd call that typical or even common. We got our boy around that age (between 12 and 14 weeks) and it was probably a couple months before he was consistently sleeping in to a reasonable hour. That's not to say he got us up EVERY night during that time - for us it was more a gradual change to sleeping through the night.

I sympathize with the sleep schedule thing, though. I'm lucky enough to have a supportive, dog-savvy wife willing to share nighttime duties, but it was still a rough time. Wishing you luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts