Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, advice please!
Since a puppy our 4 yr old has slept in his crate at night. He loves it and even wanders in and out during the day. At night though it is closed... we have lots of foxes nearby and he would go berserk at the back door...instead he will bark a few times and go back to sleep. I wish I maybe had transferred him to a bed when he was younger but he didn’t seem interested and instead dragged the bed round the house. Any advice of getting rid of the crate now or is too late? He seems very happy in there and has loads of room to stretch out. Should I just leave him asleep on the sofa when we go to bed? Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am far from an expert on dogs, but since nobody else has chimed in, I'll give my thoughts for what little they are worth.

You say you keep him closed in his crate at night so he won't go berserk barking at the foxes. Yet you want him to sleep in a dog bed instead of his crate? I am confused.

If you are okay with him being outside of his crate at night, then what is the harm with allowing him to sleep on the sofa and then go into his crate at night on his own? Then, after he is okay with that situation, then remove the crate and give him a bed and he can choose to use it or continue sleeping on the sofa.

For many dogs, the crate is a sort of safe haven. You might want to put his new dog bed in an out of the way corner of a room or between a couple larger pieces of furniture. My last dog slept in my room, tucked in a corner with walls on two sides and a big dresser on a third.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I grew up with dogs who were crated their whole lives. If your dog likes his crate and doesn’t complain about being in it, it’s probably a safe area for him, and taking it away at this point may make him stressed. The best way to try to transistion if you really want to is just leave the door open on the crate and let him come and go as he pleases all day and all night. If you start to see a pattern of him choosing to not be in it most of the time, then you can maybe completely remove it.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Bonnie has slept in a crate ever since she was a puppy. Not that she has to but she prefers to be there at night. Even if I leave the crate door open, she sleeps in the crate all night. I tried leaving her loose in the house at night without the crate but she was not happy and would not settle down so since she prefers the crate, no reason to change things. She is 4 years old next August.

She is never in the crate during the day whether I am home or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my opinion i'd keep him in the crate at night, mine love their crates!
Crates don't have an age limit, i'd say the longer you use them the better!
:sleep:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts