Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! How long should you keep a pup in their crate to get them used to it? My puppy is 9 or so weeks now and pretty much sleeps throughout the night in her crate unless she has to go potty. Then, she whines letting me know she has to go (plus, I get up every two hours or so if she doesn't to let her out). She seems to be doing really well in that aspect. During the day, I have been letting her roam around when I'm home and putting her in the crate for a half hour or so at a time. She is in the bathroom now while I am at work with the pee pad, but I put the crate in their with the door open. Because I feel like she is locked up too much, I feel bad putting her in her crate while I am at home. Sometimes, it's nice though because I know she is not getting into trouble and gives me a chance to relax and do what I need to get done. I have a feeling I should put her in their more often until I can trust her, and she is potty trained. Let's face it, I can't watch her ALL the time! I guess my question is, what ratio should we be playing/letting her roam to her being in her crate?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
There's no official ratio. I'd say anytime you can afford to supervise her, she should be with you. She needs to explore the house, learn about new sights and scents and so on. If you can't keep your eye on her the whole time, tether her to your belt with a leash and periodically make sure she's not chewing anything she shouldn't be. Anytime you can't supervise her, back in the crate she goes.

How long are you out of the house every day?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long are you out of the house every day?
I'm at work for 8 hours a day but luckily I'm close enough to work that I come home during lunch to play with her. I'm nervous about the leash deal. Ideally, I would like to do the tether thing to have her close by me and to supervise. I've been putting on her collar periodically to get her used to it and always when we go somewhere. I attached her walking leash to the collar the other day, and she totally wigged! She wouldn't move at all, so I am worried about doing the thether thing. I should just keep trying though until she gets used to it, I'm assuming. Are there any tricks? Maybe I should have her to come me with a treat?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I taught my dogs by clipping the leash on, and letting them drag it around. Once they were comfortable, I would pick up the leash and follow them around. Then I would pick up the leash, and start walking, while calling and petting pup. That's what worked for me.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts