Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok......next in the list of questions. We are starting crate training today. The crate is in the living room were we sit...there are plenty of her favorite toys in the crate with her. An hour in the crate then she is leashed and taken outside to potty.....if she potties lavish praise and a treat then back inside for a bit of play time. Then back in the crate. She is not fond of this...howls whines yelps.....generaly acting like she is being beat to a pulp. Unfortunately the breeder we got her from did not crate but gave the dogs run of there house so I am figuring this while no fun is normal behavior. But I wanted to throw this out there to those of you more knowing in the raising of new pups....cause well I have not had a new puppy in about 30 years. So any comments will be appreciated and listened to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It usually takes a few days for puppies to stop whining and howling in crates. Of course they don't want to be holed up in a crate when they could be running around and playing with you!

In a few days the howling and barking should subside, but it depends on the puppy. Just don't come running every time you hear it howling.. or it will never stop.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It depends on the dog, some dog will take it within a few days.
While other can take a few weeks. (Lucky me, I got this one.)

Only take her out of the crate, when she isn't whining and howling.
Let her calm down.
Good luck.
What kind of dog is it ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's a Dachshund......She's a great dog...smart as a whip. I figured it was somthing that just needs time....I just like to get comfermation from people that have delt with things before. One of the great things about fourms.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I prefer to start my crate breaking in a seperate room, no matter where you put crate you will get the barking/whining etc program from your pup. Think about it, you are all in the living room and you put pup in crate but you guys are there outside of crate. Hmmmmmm! The pup definitely wants to get back with the people she was just enjoying herself with and you are there teasing pup with your presense. Next scenario is with crate in different room, pup in crate but no people teasing going on. As stated above pup will still go through the whining/bark routines but my opinion is that it is easier on pup. If pup has her own room with a door that can be shut it helps muffle sounds and a radio can be turned on in room low just to help a tad. When you go to bed earplugs can be utilized and with pup in different room might mean the difference from no sleep to some sleep.

There are different ways to cratebreak pups and quite frankly they all work or people would not be using them. This method is just another option. The more popular method is as you are doing so that pup is getting constant socializing by being a member of the family 24/7. I personally believe that pup will still get plenty of family socializing and it might help because there would be less temptation to take pup out of crate sometimes ruining the whole crate program.
Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone,

We are introducing the crate for our newly adopted shelter rescue. The difference is that he is 4 years old. After many discussions with various folks about whether or not to crate, a behaviorist from the Anti-Cruelty Society actually recommended it as a way to help with the dog starting to feel comfortable when we come and go.

Luke is a Jack Russell Terrier, and as much as we love him already, our schedules just won't allow us to be with him 24/7. The only real challenge we have had is when we leave. Having run of the house isn't an option and the behaviorist said that a crate is actually more comforting to the dog than being blocked off in the room.

What are others thoughts on crate training with older dogs? We want him to see the crate as "his" area and his room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts