Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the first dog I’m honestly trying to crate train. So far I’ve gotten her to do the “crate” command and usually she will be pretty quiet in there. I’m sure I could have worked slower but she’s up to spending about 30 min in there. But sometimes she starts barking. It’s quiet and does not remind me at all of a separation anxiety type of thing. I’m curious what people’s opinikns are at this point; should I ignore her until she is quiet which might extend into an hr or more., or am I trying to still increase the time gradually and thus should do what in this situation?

·
Registered
144 Posts
How old is she? Is it possible she needs to go outside to go potty? If not, I would wait until she becomes quiet and then let her out, if you want her out. If you still want her in the crate, go praise her for being quiet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is probably about two years old, so old enough to hold it. Thank you for the response, makes me feel better. She’s my first adult rescue and i don’t want to cause any trauma, but I also don’t want to reward bad behavior. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where do you have the crate located? When I was training my daisy to "Go to Bed" I had her crate in a separate room in which noone goes into except for daisy. You see even dogs need their alone time where they wont be disturbed. If you have the crate located somewhere that everyone goes into it is only natural for the dog to want to be around everyone to see what is going on.

Also I left the door to the crate open so that she can come and go. This way the crate is not made out to be a cage to her. My Daisy is 7 years old though in that aspect. You may need to spend more time watching your dog and ensuring that your training is going the way that you want it to go. Maybe try giving your dog a treat in her crate every thirty minutes. (seeing how you already have her up to 30 minutes before barking.) Just remember praise and love for the good behavior.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts