Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Georgie is the first dog my husband and I have ever owned. She is part pug part Boston terrier part chihuahua. She is 8 weeks old. I'm trying to train her to be able to stay on her own for short period of time by putting her in her small carry crate which she also sleeps in at night...she is more than happy to go in and go to sleep but as soon as she wakes up she starts whining and doesn't seem to settle herself despite there being toys in there for her to play with. My question is how long should I leave her in there whining before I take her out...I feel like having her sleep the whole time isn't really training her because as soon as she's awake whether we are in the room or not she gets upset. Even though she sleeps for about 2-3 hours at a time I worry she will wake up while we are out and get anxious. We have a few mandatory things during the week that we are going to have to leave her at home to go do and I feel I'll prepared for that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
At 8 weeks, she probably needs to potty every 2 hours or so, day or night and, she doesn't want to go in her bed, so yes, she needs out. If you need to leave her for longer, use a puppy playpen with the crate and potty pads in it so that she has a place to go and, a clean place to sleep. leave a bit of extra room for a play area. The general rule is 1 hour per month of age until 7-9 months old, then 8-10 hours should be okay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts