Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just recently today bought a crate/carrier, steel one to well, doggy train my pup in it since I've heard it's good for you and your dog, I never used one so I don't know how to start with it, now I put a towel in it plus new toys and old ones she doesn't go in by herself, a little push helps her and then she's abit more confy.. and I hope it helps in the potty training since she's a little bit stubborn haha
But how do I start? I put her in, lock her and be at her side and then bit by bit leave like period of 10 mins or 15? and reward her if she's quiet or how?

Thanks and sorry for the doubts, here are some pics of the crate.

And is it good for a dog to be in the couch or so with you? I personally let her sleep with me now since I didn't have a crate and in the couch the same, her bed lies next but she uses it to play with her toys or eat her bones or special treats and the cushion is already pretty bitten that's why I now put a towel in the crate for now.. IMG_2004.jpg IMG_2001.jpg

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Instead of putting her in it, make it a fun thing by picking one very special treat that she gets while in her crate only. A stuffed and frozen kong is a good choice! Something to pass a little bit of time but that is also super tasty.

Lure her into the crate with the treat and give lots and lots of praise. Close it up, and leave her for a little while. I liked to vary the times...maybe 30 minutes one time, maybe an hour another time, maybe 10 minutes...maybe 2 hours! That way she learns that the crate doesn't always mean a LONG time.

You can also feed her in the crate to make it more of a positive spot for her. Just put her food bowl in there and leave the door open so she goes in to eat.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Also, you CAN start for shorter periods of time, if she REALLY freaks out when she's in the crate. You can start with 2-3 minutes, one time, and then 10 minutes the next time, then 1 minute the next time, etc.

As for the potty training, prevention is the key. Prevent accidents by watching her like a hawk, eyes on her constantly, and putting her in the crate when you can't watch her. Just be so vigilant that you don't even give her the CHANCE to have an accident.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts