Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trillion will only happily be in a crate with a treat....until that treat is gone..
I work twice a week from 11 til 6 usualy. Sometimes til 7, i live at home with my parents brother and sisters, my mom works nights and tends to sleep most of the day, we have another dog named buddy (lab greyhound mix) who needs to be supervised with trillion because he can be rather rough and he runs her over a lot >.< anyways so when im at work trillion is usualy in the bathroom or in her crate, however its like the second i leave the house my mom says she crys non stop, and here i am at work getting texts every hour or so from an angry mom telling me i need to make her shush, (as if it were that easy). I get home to my mom telling me i cant leave her home that something needs to be done with her while im at work, nobody takes her out when im working because nobody wants to be held "responcible" for her eating something she shouldnt or anything like that, the whole issue here is my mom cant stand the constant crying when im gone, and she dosnt seem to understand that giving her attention or anything like that when shes crying is rewarding bad behaviour, but i understand the fustraightion my mom has.... Since she needs to sleep, anyways,

What are some things i can do to help this situation?
Id like to state that trillion does not cry while in the bathroom if im home... But its like she knows im gone then she crys, she dosnt sleep in her crate she sleeps with me in my bed, when i put her in her crate she chews the bars and lightly whines and refuses to sleep. She just makes circles and is rather loud about it lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Id also like to state, when i leave shes in the bathroom, when my sisters come home from school she goes into the crate and in the living room or wherever they predominately are, the oldest of my sisters is 8 and she will take trillion out to potty when im not home, but she also has puppy pads in the bathroom.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you build up to crating her at all? You're supposed to work in small increments when you are home, so she doesn't associate her being in the crate with her favorite person disappearing. Take some time while you're home to do several short training sessions with her. Pick a command you want to use for going in her crate (crate up, kennel up, we say 'go in your home') and start teaching it to her. Toss a treat in and when she's four feet in the crate, give her the command (marking the behavior). This also has the benefit of associating the crate with treats.

Once she's comfortable in there and not hesitating to walk in, start closing her in for a few seconds at a time. Go in your home! treat, hold the door shut. Count to 10 or 15 or 30, however long you think she'll last without whining. Most people suggest sitting in front of the crate for this but I found my dog took to it easier if I wasn't staring at him. When the time is up praise her THEN let her out (good things happen when she's in the crate, not on her way out). Then try it again. Do it until she's good with a time interval, then increase the time.

Once Murph was good in there for like, 10-15 minutes, we basically just started leaving him in there for several hours and he was fine. It might be a big jump to go from 15 minutes to 8 hours but it's a start, and better than what she's doing right now!

hope that helped :) crate training isn't impossible, but it takes work!

·
Registered
482 Posts
You mentioned on another thread that this puppy is only 7 weeks old? That's much too young to be crated for 7-8 hours at a time. What time does your sister get home to take the puppy out?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My sister gets home at 3, but she isnt crated until shes home.shes in the bathroom with puppy pads to go potty, when she gets home shes crated and brough out. But she takes her out to potty every hour, the whole thing is though she even crys when in the bathroom if im not in the house, i also put her in the bathroom to eat as i dont want buddy to eat her puppy food and shes fine she will even go laydown when shes done until i get her and bring her to my room or wheever we plan on playing. But the moment i put her in there and actualy step foot outside, she crys.how does she even know im leaveing?!lol. We will try the crate and treat today, and im also going to crate her for naps, (after she falls asleep putting her in) but bed time she can still sleep with me,

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Are you putting normal treats in with her? Do you try something longer lasting, like a frozen, stuffed kong? If you stuff a kong with peanut butter or cottage cheese you can freeze it overnight, and it takes longer for the good stuff to be licked out!

Other than that, you have a super young pup, and it's kind of normal for her to be freaked out when you aren't home.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Basically - your mother isn't going to be happy period with the dog. Because you have a mixed breed of two pretty vocal dogs that while normally quite (doesn't bark randomly at things usually - doesn't bark at intruders, people running through the yard etc) they do usually make quite a bit of noise - howling. What people refer to as "talking". If you've ever seen Mishka the talking Husky - just like that. Anyway.

It's also pretty normal like doxiemommy said to be freaked out when you leave - that'll probably continue for another month or so.

She knows your leaving because you didn't associate any good things with you leaving - which is why she screams (and will scream bloody murder). She knows that when she goes into the bathroom and you shut the door you aren't coming back for awhile and because you didn't associate the bathroom with anything good (play time, toys, lots of really smelly awesome high value treats, stuffed kongs and things she can chew on etc). basically anything that will keep her attention for awhile so that she doesn't notice you left.

Associating the bathroom and the crate all with good things and giving her things to do while she has to stay in there will make things easier.

Although - I'm a little concerned that she has no interaction from when you leave until 3 and then is ONLY let out to potty every hour until you get home. At least that is what you've made it sound like. I apologize if I'm reading that wrong.

Also remember this dog has the potential to be a large dog like 85 pounds and will require (when she's gotten all of her shots and dewormed and when she's older) will need A LOT of exercise so she doesn't become a hyperactive, screaming her head off and destructive dog.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im moving out in march or april and i just need to keep things bareable until then,
Shes in the bathroom with her foodand water. Her sqweaky fish (well...he dosnt sqweak anymore lol) a ball a teathing bone and a plush sqweaky bone, she dosnt have a kong, but it seems thats something that will come in handy, ill have to get her one :).
Anyways shes in there from 11 til 3 and when my sister gets home she takes her out i was told she needed to go out about every hour my mom also says my sister will go play with her for a few min in the bathroom so she can run around but only for 15 min or so...
How do other people do it? Work and have puppys?
How do they manage both?
When i get home its non stop playing til shes falling asleep lol,

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I don't work which is the ONLY reason I got a puppy. I had every minute of every hour of every day to dedicate to training that puppy so that when I do get a job (have one set up hopefully for spring) she's a well adjusted puppy that I don't have to worry about screaming her head off or destroying my house when I have to leave for the day to work.

They also have the support of their family (if they're living with parents) or their significant other to help care for the puppy while they're working. OR they hire a dog walker to come walk their dog if they're gone for long periods of time (obviously this isn't for your puppy but maybe 6-8+ months old). Or a dog sitter who would come over and let your dog out and play with them for awhile.

If I was working I wouldn't have gotten a puppy and I'd have looked at getting an older pup/young adult (10-12 months up to 2-3 years old). So I wouldn't have to deal with all of the puppy stages knowing that I probably wouldn't have the time to do all of the things I did with Bella since i wasn't working (taking her out every 45 mins - an hour until she was 6 months old, getting up in the middle of the night, watching her completely every minute to make sure she was behaving [I didn't crate train]). Now at almost 12 months old she hasn't had an accident in the house since she was 4 months and she doesn't destroy anything or get into things she's not supposed to. She has lots of toys all of the house and I can safely leave her alone with run of the house for well up to and passed 8 hours if need be. :) Though I'll admit I have a very "easy" pup. She is super easy to train, too smart for her own good and picks up on training (direct or indirect) on her own.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
That saying "it takes a village" really applies to puppies too. You need a support system: family, friends, dog walkers, trainers etc. My BF and I both work but the only way we were able to make it work is both being able to bring our dog to work with us. A puppy is super distracting in a work environment though so I wouldn't recommend this for everyone but it's doable with patience and allows lots of opportunity for training.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i move out im moving in with my boyfriend (hes the one who orginaly got trillion, picked her out and everything)
So im in the bathroom with her fed her and put her crate in here and started to play with her i got some small pieces of ham and put them in her crate. And she went in layed down to eat them. When she was done she followed me into the hall where i was putting laundry in, we came back to the bathroom to play and i have her her fish, tried a small game of tug with it, let her win and she took the fish to her crate to chew on him without me trying to take him away lol. Shes comfy with laying down in there so quickly now just to get her to want to stay in there. Also when she tried eating my laces i removed myself from the bathroom and i only had to do it twice for her to stop and as for biting i just played "tree" and she just sat down and waited til i came back down the her level to play and she brought me her fish, this seems easier than what i was doing orginaly!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I completely forgot SOCIALIZING! Which is a HUGE part of training! Having a puppy isn't simply about showing them with love and affection, toys and treats and playing with them. Then just letting them sit around in your home or apartment while you're working and then rinse and repeat!

After she has all of her shots you'll have to begin to socialize her! Introducing her to people is absolutely imperative as you don't want her to be shy of people! But you also don't want to push her (which can also make her shy of people). And other dogs and animals of all shapes and sizes! But be very VERY careful when introducing and letting her play with smaller animals/dogs as she has a high prey drive which will make her chase small animals (and even children!) and she can bite/kill the animals if given the chance.

But Socializing does take up a lot of time also!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And look at that! I gave her a treat and she took it to her crate to eat.... This seems too easy now, lol we plan on signing her up for socialazation at petco. And we have ferrets and rats. She lets the rats climb all over her and lays no mind to them, and the ferret shes scared of cause she tried to play with it and it climbed on her back for a ride and she freaked out now she runs to hide when someone has the ferret out to play. We are so excited for her shots to be done so we can take her out to play and have her in training classes and all that fun stuff, our goal is to get her her cgc :D. We plan on doing everything with her really :) hikes dog beaches dog parks!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Just because your boyfriend picked her out and got her for you - doesn't mean he'll be on board for all of the work that actually taking care of her comes with :p (not being mean just point out a reality - and sometimes even if the men say they are - they really aren't).

And if you (general) know nothing about the breed(s) you could very well be in for a pretty big surprise!

You may move in with him and find out that (if he had said he'll help take care of her) he wants nothing to do with feeding her, taking her out, cleaning up after her, brushing her (she'll need LOTS of brushing), walking her (she'll need tons of that also) or even training her ("I bought you the dog YOU take care of it)! A puppy may not only stress you out but could easily stress out your relationship! ( I know this because my friends boyfriend bought her her two puppies and said he'd help in all of their care and he does nothing) :D Not saying your boyfriend is like that but it's also something to look out for.

Having a support system greatly increases the success of you and your puppy. It helps to get through all of the really stressful times!

ETA: since you replied when I did! Good for you :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im confident that he will help with her since when he comes over he does everything for her feeds her plays with her takes her to potty and we brush her now just so she gets used to it. He does that as well the only thing he can improve on is knowing what to do when she nibbles he thought it was cute til she got rough with him and he was like D: WHAT DO I DO?! Lol his feelings were hurt aha. I told him about pulling away and saying ouch n all that, on top of that he. Buys her food her treats her toys. Her puppy pads and her vet visits are all on him as well.

Now lets just hope he stays this way! Aha.
Hes often the one telling me to just sit back and breathe when im at wits end.

She isnt my first puppy but shes my high energy puppy, i had a beagle but all he did was sleep ALL DAY LONG. Wasnt interested in toys or anything he liked to chase things and howl and sleep. Lol... He was soooo difficult to teach too, he wouldnt do anything if you didnt have a treat to offer him, and i often wonderd if he even knew his name. As id call it he would keep running and not even look back. Trillion comes when called and she sits perfectly before coming inside after going potty and she sits when asked period treat or no treat.
And she loves her sqweaky toys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a female black lab puppy when we first brought her home she was barking screaming ect it seemed like for hours we my husband and i decided to put a divider in the create to make it smaller that worked a lot better and for the first few nights we put a blanket covering the kennel so she couldn't see us and she just went to sleep stopped barking just like that now she is more familiar with her kennel she we can take the blanket off next step is to ditch the kennel all together

1 - 16 of 16 Posts