Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Crate training problems

701 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Geekmatt 
#1 ·
Hey, i have a 3/4 GSD 1/4 bordercollie named link hes about 3 and 1/2 months old.
Now, I know not crate training is considered a heinous act. I really wanted to do it when I first brought him home, but I'm genuinely concerned about his well being due to the heat, because my house is always much hotter than the outside and I have trouble handling it, so naturally he does too. My room where we sleep is cooler because of the Cieling fan but it doesnt help him from inside the crate, and the temperature is still unbearable at times outside the crate.
Link is extremely well behaved for a puppy, but he gets into things when he's home alone and bored, which is only natural. I've made effort to puppy proof my room when I'm not around but things he couldn't reach he now reaches! And places he wouldn't go he now goes! It's becoming increasingly difficult to keep him from trouble when I'm not home. I also have several kong toys that I fill with his favorite treats, and I walk him for about 45 minutes before work everyday and leave his morning raw food on my way out to work, which he quickly gobbles up. I'm not overly concerned about the minor damage caused, but I do worry about his health.
So, any opinions or suggestions are very welcome. And thanks for reading!

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Don't know why it's so hot, only been living here a couple months. My brother inlaw suggested its bad insulation in the addic, he's dealing with a similar problem.
X-pen might be a good idea, I'll look into it. I can't get an AC for electrical reasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.