Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog is 1 1/2 years old and she is a basset/basinji/rot/lab mix. i am moving on my own in the next couple of month and am currently trying to crate train her mainly for when i go to work during the day. the problem is my dog shows no interest in getting in the cage. i have gone to many sites and read different tips but nothing has work. the crate is currently in the living room and i wanted to just focus on her going in and out on her own. i have put treats in there but she just go in, grabs them and walks back out. i have even gotten in the crate myself. i dont want to lock her in yet till she will go in on her own.

does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
When she goes in to get the treats block the exit with your body...sit in front...don't shut the door. Hand feed her while she's standing in the crate. Quiet praise. If she has a favorite toy do the same thing. Put the toy in the crate and engage her in play. The whole idea is to make the crate a pleasant, safe place to relax.

At some point, you'll just have to shut the door. She may not like that at first which is normal but, she also learns that no harm will come to her while she's there.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
In my house crates are never an option. They start crate training on the ride home from the breeder or shelter. At this point I would body block the entrance, feed some treats, and then close the door.

Personally, I would start by crate training at night so that your dog doesn't associate the crate with your leaving...that could blossom into separation anxiety. Bring the crate into your bedroom, crate the dog as described, and go to bed. Then while you run a few errands during the day, maybe for an hour or so, crate the dog again. Increase the crate time until the dog is comfortable with the situation.

You do have to "buck up" and get past the dog's crying and howling. If you take the dog out when it whines then you are teaching it to whine in the crate. The only other tip I have is to spread a bit of peanut butter on the back wall if you have a plastic crate. That lures just about every dog I've ever had right in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice and for an update i put a treat in the cage, she went in with no hesitation, then i sat infront of the door and interacted with her. within less than a minute she got comfy and laid down in the crate. i move out from infront of the door but still beside the crate and she didnt move. then i got up and sat on the couch and she stayed in there for about 3 minute. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!

btw i find it very hard to type when the dog is on your lap laying on one of your arms lol :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as an update, she has been staying in the crate while im at work with the exception of lunch and has been doing great with no whining. but i do have a few more questions

she sleep in my bed with me from 11pm - 5am then goes in the crate at 7:30am and eventually falls asleep. is it alright for her to sleep that much?

and

its it alright to leave her in the crate when im at work and not let her out during lunch break it would be for 8 hours?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Adult dogs sleep 16-18 hours a day on average. That will vary depending on what's going on....house full of guests, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's very important to exercise your dog..A walk is a healthy part of their natural life. Fish swim and dogs walk; all animals have a natural instinct to travel. Do you feel the dog would destroy your house if it were left outside of the crate? Also, if you want the dog to fully adjust to the crate, she can't sleep with you. I know, it's sad and seems harsh (this is the reason I couldn't crate my dog) but it really isn't. By sleeping in the bed, in a naturally higher position than her, you're letting her know in the bedroom is yours, also..allowing her to sleep at night in the crate will allow her to make it her "den" don't close the door at night, just don't let her on your bed. You'll be suprised when you wake up and see her in there waiting for you to wake up.

Keeping her off the bed could be tricky though, since you're unconsious most of the night. People have used the baby barriers that go along side the bed, and those work well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have a problem with her adjusting to the crate i just wanted to know if its ok to leave her in the crate for 8 hours

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Crates work great at night, while you're there and the pup is sleeping through the night but, during the day when you're not there and you don't if they're sleeping or awake (if she's awake, she will have to relieve herself).

I used the laundry room for confinement (ceramic tile floor) when we went to work. That way, if they had to relieve themselves the clean-up was easy and I didn't have to scrub the crate or the dog.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i havent gave an update in almost a year so i thought id let everyone know how it was going. my dog is wonderful in my apartment. we gave up using a crate a few months after i moved. she roams the house all day and its rare if she chews anything up and if she does its a newspaper or something harmless. sometimes i am able to let her out at lunch but there are days that i cant make it home and its VERY rare to home home to an accident. she always lets me know when she needs to go out and not once has she went poop in the house. about 4 times a week we go to a local 5 acre dog park to run and she loves it there. the only negative is that now when i take her out to pee, if she doesnt want to come back in she will lay down and refuse to get back up so i have to carry her in. but other than that she is perfect. thanks again for eveyones good advice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts