Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Hello, I am new to this forum as I was hoping to get some different opinions on my current problem.

I have a 4 month old CKC, Annie. I got her from a breeder from 8 week of age and from day one I have been crate training her. To begin with, there were some accidents during the night. For the past 2 months, I don't think she has had any accidents up until this week.

Monday, when i woke up in the middle of the night, there was a big puddle of pee, then from Tuesday onwards, there is a small pee mark on the towel the size of twenty cent coin. I'd gotten some responses from another forum and they key was to be consistent and patient.

Below is the list of how i've been crate training her.

- Before I sleep (around 11pm) I will take her outside to pee.
- Wake up at 3am to take her to the toilet, as i know is still too young to hold in her pee all night.
- Wake up at 6am to take her to the toilet.

I've arranged for her sleeping area in her crate to be the same size as her, to stop her from peeing on one side and sleeping on the other.
She sleeps in the hallway, so she is close to us and in a nice warm area.
Each time there is an accident in the crate, I change her towels and have washed the crate with vinegar water to get rid of the smell.
I have taught her to walk out of her crate to the backyard to pee and after each pee i give her a small treat and a praise.
I am now starting to take away her water bowl, so that in the middle of the night after a pee she cannot drink.

From the above information am i doing anything wrong?

I'd been advise to extend her crate area, so she knows to wake up walk to one side to pee then walk back to her sleeping area, however I don't see how that fixes the crate problem.

She doesn't bark or scratch if she needs to go.

Why all of the sudden a relapse in peeing? Is she at the age where she is testing the hierarchy? There hasn't been any changes to her home environment or diet.

During the day she has access to the backyard and her play area. When I am at home, she is getting the hang of running to the backyard to pee.

I am only comparing her problem to her brother, as he didn't have any issues crate training. I know i need to pin point the problem now before it gets out of hand.

Any feedback would be great.

:)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
1. Use an enzyme cleaner instead of vinegar and water. Vinegar and water is ok if you don't have access to an actual enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle, but it does not destroy the odor at the molecular level the way an enzyme cleaner will.

2. If this is something new happening recently, your first step is a trip to the vet to make sure she doesn't have a UTI, kidney infection, or other medical condition.

3. If this is happening between bedtime and 3am (your current potty time), try getting up and taking her out an hour, or even half hour earlier (sam thing if it's between 3am and the time you get up in the morning).

4. Take the water up about 2 hours prior to bedtime.

5. Never compare one dog to another. Each is an individual.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts