Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. So, I'm in a bit of a predicament here. Within the last year, I've rescued an older dog. A 13-year-old male Dachshund, to be precise. I have a handful of experience with older/senior dogs, but I haven't experienced anything quite like this guy. Apparently his history with crates is wild. In his life he's chewed through two different plastic crates, and Houdini-ed his way out of various metal crates. From the plastic crates, his previous owners have come home only to find this guy stuck half in, half out, some times with some mild lacerations. Though once he cut his neck rather deeply which was probably quite a scare. He's also fractured his tail not once, not twice, but three different times while in a metal crate. He's also had one full on break towards the tip.

Now that he's in my hands, I'm not quite sure what to do. My dogs are usually always crate trained when they're young. But this guy is 13, like I said. So all of my training methods haven't worked with him. If I leave him out, I will leave him in my bedroom with a tall baby gate up. But he'll find whatever he can to get into, or tear up. I have left him toys out but he ignores them. So I have to put away anything and everything that I think he'd get into. But let me say that he does not tear anything up when people are home. But I don't believe this is separation anxiety related.

So, sorry for the long rant but I'm just completely flabbergasted with this guy. Does anyone happen to have any tips or tricks for crate training an older dog? Other than this, he is moderately well-behaved. As good as he can be for a Dachshund that has changed homes various times. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
A better crate is probably going to be your best bet. I mean, the plastic and wire crates are okay, but if your dog is really determined to get out, they can get out.

Other than that, you can try dog-proofing a single room in your home, like a bathroom, where there are few things the dog can tear up. Try leaving him with a frozen stuffed Kong, or some sort of puzzle toy with food to work on while you're gone.

Also, I think that if the dog is hurting himself trying to get out like that, he might have some separation anxiety...or some sort of anxiety. Some dogs just really don't like being confined. Or he might find escaping super rewarding and the injuries just don't matter to him. Who knows?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts