Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just posted the other night about crate training at night with my 9 week old boy Ash. I gave an update there about how his nights were going in the crate and he's finally learning the grate is great, during night time at least. He sleeps through the entire night and doesn't even wake up for a potty break. I still wake up every once in a while to check on him but there's no need.

Now I'm looking for training tips for the day time. When he is awake during the day it seems a lot more difficult to keep him comfy in the crate. I still play crate games with him and reward him when he goes into the crate himself and stays there. However when I put him in the crate to get him used to being in there when I'm not in sight he goes back to whining and barking until I let him out. I don't leave him in there for long during the day. Maybe 5-15 min while he's eating breakfast and I'm making coffee or taking a shower.

I read that it's good to have them stay in the crate without you during the day to let them know that when you do you will always come back but I was looking for tips to maybe make him more comfortable in there for short periods of time during the day. Should I be letting him out as soon as I'm done showering and getting ready then wait for him to calm down outside of the crate to reward him or should he stay in there to whine it out then let him out of the crate when he's calm and reward the calmness inside the crate? Also I should probably lure him into the crate then close the door instead of putting him in there when I go to do something when I can't supervise if he's biting something or peeing somewhere he shouldn't right? There is lots of questions floating around my head and I'm sure I'll keep posting them to read what worked for you all.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
176 Posts
My question to you is why crate him when you are home?

I know crate training is very popular, and it can be a great tool. But at the same time, I think teaching your dog to behave in a certain way is better than simply confining them.

For example, rather than crate my dogs when I shower, I just leave the bathroom door open and let the dogs come in and lay down. Sure, sometimes Tornado-dog likes to help me (he sticks his head into the shower and licks whatever is in reach), but he is learning to just settle down until I get out. For both dogs, they just want to be near me when I'm home. If I go upstairs, they go upstairs. When I go to the bathroom, they come with me. As they get older and adjust more, they learn that sometimes it's not necessary to go with me everywhere. My Moose-dog and Bat-dog rarely came to the bathroom once they got comfortable with my being out of sight but around. They knew I wouldn't sneak out on them. These two are still developing that sense of security.

Mat training is a good alternative. Start of slowly, but once he learns to stay on the mat consistently and on command, you can start teaching him to do so while you are in the shower.

Added benefit, if someone breaks in while you are showering, your dog isn't locked away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When point this one"he's biting something or peeing somewhere he shouldn't right? "
Maybe you can put some toys in it to let him bite.
Have you try to '' Grass pee mat ", it can help effect potty training.

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
Yes, there will be a bit of fuss when you put the pup away in a crate, which is normal. I like to leave my dog with a frozen stuffed Kong chew toy when he has to be crated. Keeps him busy for a while, and the licking and chewing is calming to dogs so encourages them to nap. You can also drop by and slip a little treat inside the crate for periods of silence. Dogs have to be crated when not running at agility trials, so when I was teaching my dog to be quiet in the crate I would slip treats in for him when he was silent every few minutes. Try not to let them out unless they are quiet.

Yes, a crate is a great place for a puppy if they can't be trusted not to get into anything yet. And yes, luring is usually better then forcing them in because they're making the choice to go in the crate.

My question to you is why crate him when you are home?

I know crate training is very popular, and it can be a great tool. But at the same time, I think teaching your dog to behave in a certain way is better than simply confining them.
I would agree with this if it were an adult dog who was completely potty trained and generally well behaved, but this is a 9 week old puppy who does not appear to have the mental capacity or potty training for this freedom yet. If you know your pup might have an accident or get into something he shouldn't while you're unable to supervise, keeping them crated is best. We all have to take care of ourselves and do things that are not compatible with supervising an untrained land shark (you DO NOT want to be rushing to jump out of the shower if your pup is squatting to pee!!) and intervening when they get into something they shouldn't, so sometimes confinement is the safest option. Don't forget preventing unwanted behaviors in the first place is a form of training, too!

Once your pup is fully potty trained and can be trusted not to be destructive, allowing them to free range while you take care of the necessaries is perfectly fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts