Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. I am new to this thread and forum and would love to have some clarification regarding crate training please.

We have an 14 week old spoodle (cocker spaniel x poodle) that I have been crate training since 8 weeks. We thought we were doing everything correctly however it appears not. This is our problem so can someone please clarify....

She goes in the crate to sleep. I am home 5 days a week and occassionally go out on those days with my kids to the park or somewhere so she goes into the crate on those times also. She also goes into the crate in the evening at around 9 each night. Overnight she has a pee pad at one end and her bed at the other. EVERY TIME SHE GOES INTO THE CRATE SHE CRIES AND BARKS FOR AT LEAST 15 - 20 MINS. Originaly when we got her she would poo & wee in her crate on her bed it didn't matter to her. She would also cry continuously. She now only goes to the toilet on her pee pad overnight however during the day she will go wherever she likes. It is extremely frustrating as you may have her outside for hours running around etc and then within 2 seconds of getting inside she will go to the toilet. I thought that crate training would help her with seperation issues however we have also tried leaving her in the laundry not in her crate and she still carries on for quite sometime. If she hears us in the house she cries and won't settle.

It is getting very hard as with 2 children you can't always keep them quiet. She doesn't cry at all overnight once she has settled. She does around 3 poos in her crate on her pee pad every night!!!!

Are we doing something wrong? Should she still be crying so much when we crate her. She gets so frantic that she turns her water over and just sounds very frantic? We don't go to her and eventually she settles.

THe problem is that our neighbours are beginning to get very sick and tired of her crying and barking when she is crated and I can't blame them as it is very loud. Although she is in an interior part of the house she is VERY loud and vocal about her apparent displeasure of being crated.

We also put in a pigs ear or a kong etc but she doesn't seem interested at all.

My questions are:

Are we doing something wrong as she seems to hate being crated?
Is there anything that we should be doing different to stop her apparent anxiety?
How long should this continue before we seek professionaly assistance?

Whenever we are home she is with us a playing and exercising so I can't see her being bored. We can't leave her out in the house as she will just pee and poo wherever if we weren't there to take her out.

HELP PLEASE as I don't want the council to come knocking as we are trying everything that we know to help her?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The crate shouldn't have a "bathroom" in it. She shouldn't be encouraged to potty where she sleeps. We've had our pups crate in a pen, open, with a piddle pad in the penned area (not in the crate), since we got him at 8 wks (he's 15 wks now). He does sleep in his crate, and doesn't cry at all. He stopped getting the pad at all last week because he wasn't going overnight anyway, he'd just play with them and make a mess. We did in and out of the crate with praise and treats about 7 million times the first few days he was home, until he was ok with going and and laying in his bed. You could try giving her a slightly bigger contained space, and it sounds like she needs a smaller crate because there shouldn't be so much room that you can have a bed AND a pad in there. Just enough room to stand up and turn around.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with hambonez she definately shouldnt have a bathroom in there, the crate is her bed and a place for safety not for potty, so you'd have to invest in a smaller pen. Only big enough for her to stand, turn around and lay.

I have a pomeranian puppy and i'm new myself to crate training as i didnt have this with my other dog. I have bought a large puppy pen, in the pen she has her crate and water bowl 1 end and toys the other. I have covered the floor with huggies dry nites bed mats. I chose to use these as the puppy piddle mats are suppose to have a smell that encourages a puppy to pee/poop were as the kids mats dont. The pads should only really be there to soak up any accidents.

Sounds to me like your gonna have to re-train her to like the crate. Bring the crate in the a room near to were you will be staying. With the door open put some of her favorite treats in the crate, something she cant resist, encourage her to go in, let her eat and leave the door open so she can get back out when finished. Repeat this for a while, eventually when she's in eating her treats close the door-open once she has finished. Eventually prolong the period of time the door is closed minute by minute. If she whimpers wait until she has stopped then let her out. There is no easy fix, and it could take weeks or longer but with positive reinforcement it should work.

As for the seperation choose a room (not the crate) put her in it, let her get on with what ever she is doing, pay her no special attention. Leave the room, with babygate/door closed go back in after a minute or so. She bounce around your feet like you've been gone all day, but dont make any special fuss, instead get her to go a trick and treat her for that taking away the attention from you and your absence. Increase the length of time your away but trey return before your dog gets upset. Might be worth minimizing any of the signs that symbol your about to leave, like turning the tv off, turn it of at random times! Also might be worth turning a radio on for her, im not saying shes gonna have a dance to it but some decent music might help her relax. Failing that you could ask your vet, im sure i read somewhere that for really bad cases they can prescribe drugs to help.

Hope some of this helped, Good luck xxx

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
1. Get the potty pads out of the crate.
2. When you leave, leave something for her to do (treat ball, Kong with frozen peanut butter...something). She will be less likely to bark if she has something to do.
3. Be sure to crate her while you are home, too, so she doesn't always associate the crate with being left alone.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Just to add to what has already been said.

A 14-week old still needs a lot of help with her housetraining. If you've been doing that correctly, she is well on her way but probably not quite there yet. You will still have to take her out on a strict schedule for a while. Even if some of the scheduled runs are generally 'unproductive', I woudn't think about eliminating them until she is at least four months old. You should do your housetraining in conjunction with your crate training, so if you are going to some re-training and reconfiguring with her crate as recommended, don't forget the house training in conjunction with that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts