Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on crate training with a 10 week old pup? And also ways to prevent separation anxiety? (I've been spending alot of time with him and am really afraid of this.)

He's pretty good at holding it and when I see he needs to go I take him outside. He won't do it in the bed, so I dont think he needs to be crated to teach him to hold it. But next week I go back to class and he'll need be to crated wile I'm gone, and I'm not sure the best way to acclimate him to it. I've started leaving him in there today in about 15 min increments with treats, etc. then coming back and letting him out to play. Was gonna do that a few more times today. Then starting to increase the interval over the course of the week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Make his crate a happy place to be...comfortable and safe, with some good toys. Always praise and/or treat when he goes in there. Don't make a big deal out of your exits and entrances, no "Oh pookie pookie pooh..mommy's sorryto leave the baby"...yada yada yada. Just crate the dog and go. Start with short absences, and when you come back, don't make letting the pup out of the crate the first thing you do. Go set down your bags and hang up your coat, put the groceries away and then, without a big todo, let the pup out. It probably won't be a big deal unless you make it a big deal.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
No one quite knows what causes SA so there's no 100% way of preventing it from happening (another reason why SA is so hard to treat). The best thing you can do is bring up a confident puppy by making sure it is properly socialized, goes into as make different places you can, do puppy classes with him, and just get him to the point where he is confident in himself. Also from what I've read not letting then sleep with you is another way to prevent SA. If they can stay away from you for 8 hours, they can handle you going away for 8+ hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts