Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Would it be possible to use baby gates or an exercise pen to keep the pup in a specific area? Many people use those when they can be passively paying attention to the puppy but do not want the puppy to wander away. I am not sure how much attention you can pay to the puppy while you're working, as even with his movement restricted to one room he could likely get into stuff since he's so young!

If it is not possible for you to keep an eye on him at all or you know you might not be able to catch him if he's about to have an accident, I think I would leave him crated in a different, non-social area where he can rest and you can work in peace. Such a setup does not need to be forever, just until the puppy's house manners are better and he can be trusted to settle comfortably while you're working.

I don't think you should be worried about not having his crate in a social area. Crates are generally meant to be a den-like area, a safe, quiet place for your dog to go. My dog's crate has always been in a quiet spare bedroom that he can go to when things get too hectic for him. Instead, you might try the baby gate or exercise pen idea in social areas so he feels more integrated with the family, but he's confined. Give him a frozen stuffed Kong or long lasting chew to work on in the pen to encourage him to settle.

As the pup gets older and learns how he is supposed to behave, you can reduce crate time and remove barriers/pens, but while you're potty training and teaching house manners, sometimes a little extra management is necessary.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts