Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My wife and I have just rescued a beautiful 3-month-old female Beagle from the shelter. We did so because we wanted a playmate and friend for our 16-month-old female Bishon-Frize.

Pusia, our 16-month-old Bishon-Frize, has been successfully crate trained and house broken. Zoey, our 3-month-old Beagle, on the other hand has not. This is her second day in the house and she is peeing like she’s never gone to the bathroom before. She can pee up to 3 times in an hour.

The first night was great! Zoey was able to stay in her crate next to the bed without whining at all! Which was good. Pusia sleeps in the room with us and we leave the door closed so she can’t get out. She is still young and gets into things (the upstairs is carpet, downstairs hardwood). So, Zoey had no problem, didn’t whine, didn’t bark, and stayed calm all through the night. When we woke up we let them both out. Zoey held it through the night and did her thing in the morning. So, I think we’re on our way.

Here’s the problem and the reason I’m writing. What about when we leave for work? We have to leave Zoey in the crate but Pusia is free to wonder around the downstairs while we are gone. She waits until we get home to pee and poop.

Is it ok to leave Zoey in the crate and Pusia out of the crate? I’m sure Zoey will whine while we are gone, but I think leaving Pusia at the house will help her to not feel alone. My wife could take Pusia with her to work and leave Zoey alone, but that can’t be everyday. What do you think? What is the best way to approach this?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
It's perfectly fine to crate one while the other is free. I crate two of my four dogs without issue. Lucia is still a puppy, so I crate her when I'm gone for safety. Luc is a Shih Tzu, so the size difference (the others are Standard Poodles) is a factor, plus he gets into things he shouldn't. Though the gates aren't locked, the other two go into their crates and sleep until I get home.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
As previously said, it's absolutely fine to leave one out while the other's crated. The pup has not earned house freedom yet.

You should actually keep the pup separated from the other dog much of the time so that its bonding is primarily to you and not to the other dog.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Definitely crate the puppy while the other dog is free. Remember however that she does need to be let out to pee every three hours or so. Other than that, a Nylabone/stuffed Kong and a t-shirt that smells like you should keep her happy.

Thank you for rescuing a Beagle :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Poodleholic- Thank you for your response!

@skelaki- Thanks for the tip on spending quality time with the puppy. That's something we are going to do more often.

@rosemayninja- Your welcome! it was fate! we were looking on the internet for two weeks for a Beagle puppy and then this angel showed up! we drove 7 hours round trip to rescue her and it was such a wonderful adventure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts