Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
We're currently trying to crate train our puppy and are not sure if the space we've allotted for him in the crate is too small. We've heard the guideline is if you make it bigger and they pee in it, then it's too big and to make it smaller. But even at the size now, where he seems cramped, on occasion, he still pees in it. We've attached some pictures.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Banned
749 Posts
He should have enough room to stand up and turn completely around. If he cant turn himself around then it is to small and you should adjust the divider.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The area looks a little small to me (with the notebook in there). He may be perceiving a larger area because the notebook isn't very tall. Do you have a taller box you can put in there instead?

And also, you'll want to make sure to clean the crate thoroughly whenever he pees in it. If ANY of the smell remains, it will encourage him to go in there again.

But depending on the environment the dog came from and his age at the time you got him, he may not have the instinct not to soil his den. If he came from a pet store or puppymill or somewhere that wasn't kept clean by the mother or the breeder, then that may be the case and crate training isn't really going to work like it's supposed to. Or if he came to you very young (4-6 weeks) he may never have learned to keep his crate clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies :) He can stand up and turn around but it's when he's lying down that I wonder if he's feeling kind of cramped. Also, in case you missed it, there's a divider in the crate.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh, I didn't see the divider in there. I do now. :) I would move it one section because it doesn't look like enough room to lie down comfortably. He looks cramped.

·
Registered
184 Posts
aw. :( i think he looks a little cramped. i'd move the divider so only 1/4 of the crate is blocked off and see how he likes that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
he looks a little cramped...
my kennel is for dogs like 20'' tall though and our puppy isn't even a foot tall....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts