Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is crate trained, but I lived in England up until a few months ago, when I moved to California and got my puppy, and crate training is not a big thing in England. I had never heard of it until I came here. Crate training has been great but I do not want it to be permanent. I do not even know if it is meant to be... all the training guides I have read talk about starting it when they are a puppy for the puppies comfort, security and house-training, but I have not found anything suggesting what to do as they get older.

Currently Ruby is in the crate at night, when I have to leave her alone in the house and when we eat in the evening. The rest of the time she is with me and follows me around the house while I do things, and when she is tired she falls asleep next to me on the sofa or floor. When Ruby is 6 months I want to start not using the crate at night, and having her sleep in the laundry room at night and when I leave her alone in the house. At night the door would be open, and I would close it when she is alone in the house. Eventually I hope to not need the laundry room and have the bed in the front room or our bedroom.

Anyway, my question is: What is the easiest way to transition from the crate to a bed? Is it a usual transition or are crate trained dog supposed to always have the crate?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
What's the reasoning behind not having the dog crated at night? Personally I keep my dogs crated at all times when they're inside and I'm not around to supervise them. Obviously this includes night time as they sleep indoors. It gives me peace of mind that they're not going to get in trouble while I'm asleep.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simply because it is not what I am used to and not what I would prefer. The dog I had for 14 years in England was never crate trained and it was nice to always have her there. She knew where her bed was and slept there at night without needing to be shut in.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Simply because it is not what I am used to and not what I would prefer. The dog I had for 14 years in England was never crate trained and it was nice to always have her there. She knew where her bed was and slept there at night without needing to be shut in.
No problems, as long as you realize not all dogs are the same. Nobody can tell you what is going to happen at 6 months of age when you leave dog out of crate at night. You got to just dive in and get your feet wet. Some dogs are great with no crates others are not, the fun is in the pickin. Good luck

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks :) I just said 6 months because that is in 2 months and she should be completely house broken by then, without the occasional "accidents" we still have. If it turns out she will always need the crate at night then no worries. But I want to give it the chance. Although not for a couple of months! :p

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I have a crate sitting out in the house and all my dogs were crate trained. even though they are 14, 7 and 1 (years) they still will wander into the open crate and sleep in there because they like it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
As soon as my puppies were fully potty trained, the crate went into storage and they sleep where they want (except on our furniture).

·
Registered
966 Posts
I don't like keeping dogs in crates either, once they're totally house-trained and safe being let loose about the house. That being said, the age at which they are trustworthy probably varies wildly from dog to dog.
But what I wanted to add to this discussion is that some dogs can grow attached to their crates. My last dog was very, very attached to his. It was like a safe little cave to curl up in (it was a plastic, enclosed type of crate). If he didn't have access to it he got upset. If I were you I would keep the crate around, but take the door off. You could keep it in the laundry room you mentioned, so then he has the option to sleep there. You could do this just as a transition to not using a crate at all, or if your dog proved to be really attached to the crate you could keep it indefinitely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts