Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Do you think this crate is too small for my dog? This is a 36" crate. The puppy is 7 months old and 55 lbs (mutt). Part of my hesitation is that 36" crates are supposed to be up to 70 lbs. But if you can't tell, it's not tall enough for him, theres no way he can sit and have his head up. But I have heard if you make the crate too big they will pee in it. The next size up is 42". It's hard to measure him because he won't stand still. Thanks

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It is even too small to be a good travel crate where dogs just need room to lay down with legs stretched to one side and head can be stretched out to the front.

The tiny crate is for baby pups that don't know where to potty at all. Your pup has a good idea what's what by now.

Measure from the floor to top of his ears and hope that a 48" crate has room to spare.

·
Super Moderator
3,354 Posts
Yeah, that's too small. He's probably going to grow a bit more, too. I would even go a couple sizes up. Since he's a mutt, you really have no idea how big he will get, but it looks like he's going to be a big dog! If you get a crate that's too big, they usually come with dividers so you can make it smaller if you need to, but when he's fully potty trained he will just have a nice roomy crate to relax in. At this age, provided he has some potty training, he probably won't pee in it. Even if he wasn't potty trained, that crate is too small.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
How are you measuring the crate? Either your dog is really really tall or that crate is not 36 inches tall. Whatever size it is, it is too small for your dog. When people say about getting a crate that is not too big for a dog, they are usually referring to a young puppy who is not house trained so they cannot pee in one corner and sleep in the other.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
You need to take the height and length of your dog into consideration, as well. For reference, Leo the German Shepherd is in a 42" cheapie eBay special crate, and Ilka the mutt is in a 36" Midwest I-Crate. Ilka was 22" tall and weighed 48 pounds. Leo at this time was something like 23" tall and weighed 50 pounds (she's matured to 25" tall and 62 pounds). From nose to the beginning of her tail, Ilka was 32" long, and Leo is more like 36" long.

MLK Park, McFaddin-Ward house, and Calder Ave 033 edit by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

·
Registered
40 Posts
A little bad picture, but wanted to debunk the peeing thing.

This is a 42" I believe, and she can even stand on her hind legs in it.
She's now a 23 LB puppy, and she has tons of room to do whatever in her crate, and she has never had an accident in it. It's her sleep/play area where she gets to be alone.
12 week old puppy, so that says a lot. ^^

Also have to say that does not seem like a 36", the difference is not that huge, and I can fit perfectly in my puppies cage :D

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
She's now a 23 LB puppy, and she has tons of room to do whatever in her crate, and she has never had an accident in it. It's her sleep/play area where she gets to be alone.
That doesn't say much or debunk anything, actually. The fact that puppies will pee in their crates if given enough room is very well accepted and documented. Just because your individual puppy happens to not have that issue doesn't mean that other people's won't.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
A little bad picture, but wanted to debunk the peeing thing.

This is a 42" I believe, and she can even stand on her hind legs in it.
That doesn't say much or debunk anything, actually. The fact that puppies will pee in their crates if given enough room is very well accepted and documented. Just because your individual puppy happens to not have that issue doesn't mean that other people's won't.
My GSD certainly would pee in her 42" crate. I had to remove all bedding and place the divider to where it was just barely big enough for her to be comfortable. To this day, she rarely has bedding in her crate.

My pittie (adopted as a n older puppy/young adult) has a bed in her crate only because laying on the bare pan (textured plastic, not metal like the GSD's crate) was rubbing her hair off. She has to have a plastic protector on her bed, otherwise she'll eventually pee on it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree with previous posters that not all pups are the same, and some have trouble if they can "get away" from the peed-upon area with too much space in the crate...but in other news, where is your crate from/what brand is it? Prinna had a pink "baby" sized crate but grew out of it weeks ago, and I'd love to get a larger colorful one!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Alisa♥;5182625 said:
I agree with previous posters that not all pups are the same, and some have trouble if they can "get away" from the peed-upon area with too much space in the crate...but in other news, where is your crate from/what brand is it? Prinna had a pink "baby" sized crate but grew out of it weeks ago, and I'd love to get a larger colorful one!
Still debunked that they will do it though. Only that it can happen. ^^ But a pup that old shouldn't have that many accidents in a crate.

It's brand is OZami I believe it was called. I obviously only picked it cause it was pink :D It's also the two door setup and is easily folded if need be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts