Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me regarding the size of a dog's crate? We have a crate we've used since getting Duke. He has gotten so tall that his head reaches the top of the crate when he sits. The height of the crate is 24 inches. He fits fine in the rest of the crate. He can turn around comfortably and we've yet to give him use of the whole crate since he seems comfortable this way and we've had it this way since potty training. My question is should the dog be able to sit up comfortably in the crate or is it's purpose for him to just be able to lay in it while we are gone? He is in the crate a few times a week for 3-4 hours at a time.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Can someone help me regarding the size of a dog's crate? We have a crate we've used since getting Duke. He has gotten so tall that his head reaches the top of the crate when he sits. The height of the crate is 24 inches. He fits fine in the rest of the crate. He can turn around comfortably and we've yet to give him use of the whole crate since he seems comfortable this way and we've had it this way since potty training. My question is should the dog be able to sit up comfortably in the crate or is it's purpose for him to just be able to lay in it while we are gone? He is in the crate a few times a week for 3-4 hours at a time.
I would want the dog to be able to sit up properly inside. Actually, ideally, the dog should be able to stand comfortably. My neck hurts just thinking about not being able to stretch, but my visualization of the problem may be off.

·
Registered
591 Posts
They should be able to sit , stand and turn around comfortably in the crate. Though getting one too big ( mainly with pups ) can cause problems like potty accidents in the crate. My 2 little ones prefer to share a crate so they can cuddle

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would want the dog to be able to sit up properly inside. Actually, ideally, the dog should be able to stand comfortably. My neck hurts just thinking about not being able to stretch, but my visualization of the problem may be off.
He can stand and turn around fine. It's just that when he sits his head touches the top of the crate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts