Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Crate setup - 2 month puppy w/coccidia

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kyllobernese 
#1 ·
Hello,

Just got a new 3lb 2 month old jack russell puppy from the pet store. I've been treating her for coccidia for 4 days now. My cage I've had for many years is 36" L X 20" w. She goes #1 & #2 in the cage. She also does her business outside when I take her out. With no partition in the cage she goes to the rear to do her business. When I partition the cage to 20" X 20" she goes right in the middle and doesn't seem to worry about standing in it after all within minutes I clean it up. I put a bedding under pad in the cage that takes up most of the cage. I try to take her out every 1 to 1.5 hrs.

How should I set up my crate/cage for her since she has a diarrhea problem? Should I leave the cage unpartitioned so she can go to the rear and do her business and keep her laying area clean (until I clean it up) or have it partitioned? I've seen alot of doc that says not to crate train a puppy with the runs.

I spend the entire day taking her out, cleaning the cage with neutralizer and washing the pads. Should I stop using the pads and leave her lay on the metal tray?

I'm worried since she doesn't mind messing where she lays in the smaller partition, she may be hard to break once the coccidia has cleared up if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks!!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Honestly, I wouldn't bother trying to house break a puppy with diarrhea. Until it clears up the dog really has very little control at all over when they have to go and puppies don't have much control to begin with.

By having her in the crate you're actually doing both your and yourself a disservice. Crate training while house breaking is designed to take advantage of a dogs natural instinct to not eliminate in it's den. As the pup has no control you're forcing it to eliminate in it's den causing it to lose this denning instinct and making house training and crate training much, much harder down the road.

#4 ·
Honestly, I wouldn't bother trying to house break a puppy with diarrhea. ...

By having her in the crate you're actually doing both your and yourself a disservice. ...
I'm not really trying to housebreak the puppy while treating her for the diarrhea but I don't want to add to the problem by having her cage set up the wrong way. I have to leave her in the cage as I can't have her loose messing the house and chewing everything in sight. Even though she has the runs, she's very active and not sick from it, just has a messy stool. Sometimes I can watch her for 2 hours and nothing will happen and as soon as I walk away she goes. Even though I take her out every 1 to 1.5 hours, sometimes she'll do #2 between times.

Thanks

#3 ·
Take everything out of the crate. No blankets or pillows. I had to do this with LeRoy and it helped tremendously.

#5 ·
How big a dog is she? If she is a small dog I would pen her in an area where she could have her crate to sleep in and an area with newspaper down that she could go to the bathroom on. That way you would not get her used to going in her crate and it will be easier to housebreak her from the pen to outside when she is healthy again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.