Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had Winnie since late October, got her from a rescue, she's about 13 months old. They told us she was housetrained and crate trained, and this has worked out pretty well since then (a couple of "accidents", but that's not a big surprise with a rescue, they tell me).

Anyway, up until very recently she would go in her crate without any problem. I would toss one or two of her favorite toys in there, say the magic word ("crate") and in she'd go. Maybe a treat too. When we first got her, I followed some of the guidelines I've read for crate training, to get her acclimated to it, too.

When we first had her, for about a month or more I carried the crate up to our bedroom and night and she slept in there, and always went in willingly and never whined or anything. Now she sleeps in a little dog bed by our side.
(checkout this pic:
)

Now she really doesn't want to go in there, this has started this past weekend. I don't want to physically force her to. I've cajoled her with a better option of some food treat, but even that was tough. I work out of my home, so basically I'm home during the day and generally Winnie doesn't spend all that much time in the crate.

This past weekend was an exception - Saturday she was in there about 5 hours while we were out, then Sunday morning while we were at church, then later on while we were at a super bowl party, so that was a lot. Other than that, nothing unusual, the crate stays in one place in the living room near the gas fireplace which she likes to lie next to a lot.

So now I'm not sure what to do -- do I somehow get her more comfortable with the crate again? And if so I don't know how to start that. Or do we bag the whole crate idea? Our previous dog (which we had for 14 years) never used a crate (and he did cause some damage when he was younger). I'm not sure how Winnie would do with the run of the house for a few hours, frankly.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
With me it's pretty simple, when I need dog in crate, I crate her. It's not open for discussion. I'm not suggesting you do this as every body has their problems in life whether it's walking across the street or crating their dogs. As far as loose in home that also is a personal decision as some dogs never have problems and others can be maniacs when loose and they get bored. I'm going to feed my dog, keep dog warm in the winter, cool in the summer and take to vet as needed. I don't think I ask to much for my dog to be crated and safe when I'm gone. It's my personal decision.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for these replies.

Don't get me wrong -- I am not against crating, I don't feel bad for my dog when she's in the crate, generally she doesn't spend all that much time in there especially since I work out of my home. I've read a lot on the topic and still believe it's the right thing to do (for us, at least, for others it's your decision of course).

I just don't want to start to have to physically force her in the crate, obviously that's not good at all. I'll continue to coax her in there with better and better treats I guess.

I will check out that video though, and also maybe try to re-do some of the training steps that we did originally, if that works out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts