Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 week old shih tzu is generally good in the crate. I am finding that sometimes, when I step out for one hour and hubby is napping he will cry and whine 45 minutes into his crate resting time. it wakes up hubby and all he wants is a drink of water. How long should we allow him to wine in the crate before we let him out. Generally, he is never alone in the house. Someone is normally home. We put him in the crate when we go out (approx 1.5 hours max) and when I have to work in the morning( approx 1.5 hours. )
Today it was raining here so he didn't get his morning walk and didn't nap much. I put him in the crate at 945am and hubby said he woke up around 10:45am. Left him for about 15 minutes before he took him out. Hubby said he just barked a few times and was whining. The moment he took him out he went to drink water.

ATM, I put him in the crate with a frozen kong so I can take a shower and he seems content.
Any suggestions? How long should we leave him to whine in the crate before we attend to him?

·
Registered
549 Posts
You should leave him until he stops barking and whining, THEN only take him out... even if he stops for 10 seconds. Never let him out when he barks or whine or he will learn that you'll get him out if he's loud.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Make sure he has gone potty before crating him. If you think he's thirsty and he's only going to be in there for a short time, you can get a water dish that clips on to the inside of the crate.

Follow Francl27's advice above regarding when to let him out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts