Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
harley is going to be 8 wks when we get himi am crate training him but as being sosmallshould iblockoff his crate to only give him room to lay down or as hell be soosmall should i give him fullspace and put a puppy pad in? I amspeaking of time i have to leave house for longer than a hr?

than as he can hold it alotlonger take pad away than reduce his space? or never encourage going in crate. just wodnering you opinions

we are cratetraining but for first while i am going to have a puppy pad by the outside door so if i happen to be in a dfferent room he ahs a spot he can go without him going anywheres he decides inmy house and becoming a sneaky pooper which willmake housebreaking much harder.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If possible, I'd avoid training him to go in the house, period - JMHO. I'd make the crate as small as possible (able to turn around and lay down). Leash the puppy to you, if necessary, so you can keep an eye on him, paying attention to potty signals (sniffing, circling, fidgitiness). Put him on a schedule (at least once an hour, when not in the crate), and also after eating, when waking up, after playing, etc. As he gets older, lengthen the amount of time between potty breaks.

What type of dog is Harley? If he's a really small breed, their little bladders can't hold it very long, but dogs tend to do better in a crate than out loose; I guess b/c they're not moving around much. He should be able to hold it a couple of hours at first. My last puppy, a larger breed, held it over night by around 12 weeks, but not all puppies can. Plan on having to get up in the middle of the night for a potty break for at least awhile.

The time you put into intense potty training now (even though it's a royal pain) will pay off in the long run.

If you have to go out for longer than a few hours, can you hire a dog walker, or have a friend come over and let him out? I had to do that at lunch time with my last puppy. You really don't want the puppy to get used to going in his crate. Dogs instinctively like to keep their dens clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thought but as i amused tolarger breeds too i figured id ask as harley is a mini dachound. Plus the longest i would i have to go out would bean hour 1 1/2 tops if i had to go longer i would just get him to come along with us.

The same goes for the puppy pads on the floor i figured id have those too just cause he is soo small i would be scared to tie him to me on his leash so the pads by door teaches him to go to door but i will certainly try without pads for a couple weeks and see how we do for sure.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Pups do not just naturally go to the pads so putting one by the door does not mean anything to them. You would still have to take him to the pad if you think he has to go so you may as well ditch the pad and just take him outside. My puppy is just 12 weeks old and she goes all night now. I take her outside first thing in the morning and several times during the day. So far in the month I have had her, she has never had a mistake in the house but I have a pen for her and if I cannot be watching her every minute, I put her in the pen.

I do have newspaper down in the pen if she has to go when I am out for any length of time as she is still too young to be in a crate for very long during the day. She does go all night now without having to go and I will start crating her at night next week so she gets used to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would actually do what you do too but hes already coming being used to a crate so im just continueing it. Thats why i wasnt sure if i should put a pad in his crate or not and if i should block off his space for just laydown room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts