Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 week old puppy was sitting in her crate yeterday and i was in the room with her. Suddenly she started screaming and when i looked over she had her teeth caught between the bars of the crate. It was a few seconds before I could prise her teeth from the bars and she was screaming the whole time. Now i'm too scared to leave her in her crate on her own in case it happens while i'm out. Has this happened to anyone else?? Since then I have caught her chewing on the bars again so it hasnt frightened her into not chewing them which is what I had hoped. I'd love some advice off someone because her crate training is now not happening. Should I buy a different crate?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would take the crate back tell them what happened and get a different one!

·
Registered
442 Posts
You could try spraying Bitter Apple on the crate bars. It has a taste many dogs don't like and if she's one of them, it would help break her of the habit.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Sadie did the same thing when she was a puppy. Try the bitter apple.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My puppy recently did the same thing. I was sitting next to his crate ignoring him while he was inside almost screaming and biting the bars--I was trying to get him used to it. I ended up opening his crate and I pet and praised him tons while he was inside, and when he tried to come out I put him back in and praised again. I started feeding him in there, and I keep all his toys in there. I put a couple of treats in there. I also put a smelly t-shirt that I had worn and had been in the laundry pile for a long time. ALL GOOD THINGS COME FROM HIS CRATE. We move his crate to whatever room we're in and let him go in and out of it as he wants while we're home. At first he only went in as far as he had to to get what he needed and he dragged it out and played with it, but now he'll go in it for a few minutes and then come back out. The first night we had him, he cried and bit the cage all night long! I think I made it worse by sleeping next to him. So the next day, I spent tons of time trying to get him to like his crate and we moved it to the bedroom, and put a blanket over it so he couldn't see us. We also made sure he was exhausted by bedtime. He whined (no cage biting or screaming) for about five minutes and then fell asleep. He also whined once in the middle of the night, I took him out to the potty and spent a minute petting him and then back to his crate, whined for a few minutes and back to bed. Then he started whining around wake up time, so at that point I just got up and started my morning routine with him. He's only 8 weeks, and its his third night home, so we'll see how he does tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone. Will try the bitter apple if I can find any here. Could do with spraying bitter apple over all the rabbit poo that Molly sniffs out and eats. Would need a huge amount though for all the rabbit poops round here!!!:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Will try the bitter apple if I can find any here. Could do with spraying bitter apple over all the rabbit poo that Molly sniffs out and eats. Would need a huge amount though for all the rabbit poops round here!!!:
LOL Could be worse. When I was living in Wyoming my dog would follow behind the cows for a (to him) yummy snack. :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts