Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8 week old puppy. We've had him for about a week now. He is a golden little pup, this is the only issue we're having with him. I feel like it's time to ask for advice.

I bought him a crate (big enough for his bed and a puppy pad). Even if you are in the room or at the cage with him, he will cry and howl VERY loudly while he is in it. He will eventually tire himself out but he will just start again not long after. Half of the time when he does wake up he doesn't need to pee, he just wants attention (not very fun at 5am when you live in a flat).

I decided to get a puppy pen and see how it would go. Same experience, sadly.

He is the same when we leave him in the crate/pen to go out - we have actually heard him screaming from outside the flat.

The last idea I have is to try having the crate/play pen in another room (since usually it is in the bedroom with us) and leaving him there for the night, but I don't have much hope at all if he's doing it while we're out of the house. It seems like he has some extreme separation anxiety - he will cry when I (and only me, none of the other house members) leave the room.

I imagine someone else has had this problem before? What did you do?

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
That's a very common problem in new puppies. They cry. It doesn't last forever, perhaps a few weeks to a month, and eventually they learn that no amount of crying is going to get them out of the crate. It's important to never let your pup out of the crate when they're crying (unless they need a potty break). Some things you can try:

1. Look up "Crate Games" and play those with your puppy to teach him its a good place.

2. Leave him with a chew, like a bully stick or stuffed, frozen Kong.

3. Try a Snuggle Puppy, which is a stuffed toy basically that resembles a littermate. Someone else on this forum used one and it worked well.

Remain consistent, and most pups grow out of it as they learn that sometimes their owners have to leave, and crate is a safe place to be.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Normal puppy stuff, and not severe separation anxiety. To give you an idea, a dog I'm working with who has severe separation anxiety starts panting and shaking BEFORE her person even leaves, has jumped through two windows, chewed bars off her crate, broke her teeth, and pees in distress.

One suggestion I have for your situation is to drape the crate. But it will get better in a few weeks as your puppy learns the routine (and if you ignore it).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking too; crate cover; maybe one that goes with the crate vs just towels; blanket. That way it fits and can't be pulled into the crate. Picture, sorry it's sideways. Last one is my dog in the crate, makes it nice and dark for them.
Net Cage
Cage Bed Room Furniture Pet supply

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately, crate training is a tiresome and grueling process. A puppy has to get used to being in a crate and until that happens, your puppy will continue to howl and cry. When we were crate training my puppy, we would sleep right by the crate to try to ease some of the crying (which did not help).

I have read several articles about crate training and I think one stands out pretty well: https://goo.gl/S12LH6

They say that you should try to create a positive experience for your puppy by providing treats when they enter the crate as well as not locking them in a crate until they get more comfortable. I hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts