Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought of a different way to ask this question.

Will a 4 month old puppy still have accidents inside the crate? I have it just large enough for her to turn around and lay in. She mostly goes outside on the leash since I got her 2 months ago. At night she'll hold it for 5 hours but during the day it could be anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2 hrs when she'll make a mess. She'll only do it once a day and we clean it up immediatly. We never seem to catch her do it.

I thought the one place they wouldn't mess was in their crate. As I mentioned in another post, she'll lick much of it up and lay in the spot. Doesn't seem to bother her.

If this is normal, how long til she doesn't want to go in the crate?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Sometimes, sure they will mess in their crate. Have you had your dog checked by a vet for any physical problems that may be causing her to do this? What is her daily schedule like? What else is in the crate besides her?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sometimes, sure they will mess in their crate. Have you had your dog checked by a vet for any physical problems that may be causing her to do this? What is her daily schedule like? What else is in the crate besides her?
Just had her at the vet today for her 16 week shot & check. No physical problems.

Schedule is feed her at 5:30 - 6:00am as well as put water back in crate. She usually doesn't drink anything at this time. Wait 5 minutes after eating then take her out for business then walk her for 15 min. She may or may not drink water now. Feed her at noon and at supper, same times every day along with walks 5 min after. She usually does #2 outside after breakfast and supper feedings. She's in and out of the crate during the day either to play or lay and sleep on our laps for several hours. Take her outside to play/train. Take up her water 1 hour before bedtime. Try to take her out every 2 hrs during the day unless she's been active, chewing rawhide, woke up from sleep or gives an indication she may need to go out. After midnight I leave her til 5:30 am. I'm wore out taking her out so much and lack of sleep.

Crate only has some toys & rawhides along with water bowl attached to the side. No blanket or pad. After an accident, it gets cleaned up fast along with a neutralizer wipedown. No yelling or punishment if she has an accident. Have only caught her couple of times in the act then I tell her to stop, which she did and take her out immediatly where she finishes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts