Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

We are a week into our adventure of adding a rescue pup to our pack. Jackson, the Toller(?) is seven months old and a real people pleaser. He's been added to the pack that contains Nola, the seven year old female wire-haired dachshund.

Nola has earned the run of the house and we have no intention of crating her, at this point. Her daytime routine, we're quite sure, is sitting in the front living room window and ensuring that the neighborhood is safe from the UPS man.

Jackson's crate is also in the living room. We crate him when we are gone from the house and overnight.

Nola sleeps in one of our bedrooms...either with me or with my wife..Yes, I am a snorer!!!

So, should the crate remain in the living room, so that the dogs are in the same room during the work day, or should it go into my bedroom, so that Jackson "sleeps with me"?

The one thing I can say is that Jackson is incredibly well-adjusted for a rescue who has only been with us for a week. We see no evidence of separation anxiety or any other problems of that sort.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I personally would leave him in the crate in the LR since there is no separation anxiety issues. I wish it was that easy for Abbylynn! You are lucky! My dog tore and bent her heavy metal crate down and injured herself twice doing so ... and then tore the woodwork off the door in a "safe room" .... due to separation anxiety issues. I had to give up and allow her free roam of the house to cure it. :/

Being the size difference .... like my dogs ... 65 pounds, 20 pounds, and 11.6 pounds or so ... I worry about accidental injuries when they are not supervised. Abbylynn leaves me no choice other than spending $400 on an indestructible crate. So I leave the other doors in the house shut ... all but the LR ... and Eddee is in his crate in the LR with the other two when I leave. He is the 11.6 pounder. :) Just something for you to consider also.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
We have 2 crates for Maddie; one in the LR and one in our BR - purchasing an extra crate was easier than moving it every night. Dogs are pack animals and like to be near their pack members. Potsie doesn't need to be crated.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I agree with Georgiapeach, I have two crates as well, one for right next to my bed, and the other for when i'm away and can't supervise. It just saves the hassle of moving the crate back and forth all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts