Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I posted a few other questions about how to raise our 11-wk goldendoodle puppy, and this one is really just a matter of practicality...

We have his crate upstairs in my brother's room, but the crate is huge and we can't carry it back and forth between his room and the living room where we and the puppy spend our time during the day. This does create some problems like chewing, accidents etc during the day, but imo the worst part is that we don't have anywhere to put him to calm down when he gets into an excited frenzy. Also he is not crate trained yet, but I have read extensively on this forum and other places on the internet so I basically know the theory on that (associate it with positive things, go in slow increments, etc). Of course it's a lot harder to do crate training when he only sees the crate at night.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
You could try a baby gate downstairs to contain the puppy. Or I would just look into craigslist or freecycle to find a used crate for the downstairs area. Garage sales are another good place to look. I just picked one up last weekend for $1 !!! We have crates in the bedroom, car, and family room (next to the back door).

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Get another crate, or at least get an ex-pen, so the puppy can be in the general vicinity as you are, but contained. I have a crate in just about every room when I've got a puppy in the house. Makes life easier.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

So the general idea is that the puppy won't have only one particular crate that he gets attached to?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts