Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted an 8 month old Schnoodle three weeks ago. She is crate trained, and we are sticking to that. My husband is having some difficulty with it. He's never owned/trained a dog before.

She's in the crate during the day (with breaks) while we're at work...and she sleeps in the crate at night. She gets long walks and lots of play/snuggle time when we're home. She once in awhile at night cries or barks for a little bit then settles down for the night. She's quiet and laying in there wagging her tail when I come down in the a.m.

She's doing really well with her housebreaking training. She has ALOT of energy! I feel o.k. with her being crated when we can't be right there with her. I worry that if we just left her loose in the house during the day or at night....she's get into something and hurt herself.

Today, the husband calls and says, "She doesn't like that crate you know....she was barking and crying to come out." Thanks for the guilt!!!!!

Am I wrong for wanting to keep her safe? Should we stop crating her? I should also add that hub is currently out of work...so he is home with her during the day...and crates her when he is trying to get things done around house...or out running errands. I want her used to the crate so that when he is back at work....she will be o.k. with being in there.

Feeling sooooo sooooo guilty right now.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Keep at it! It's most likely not that she hates the crate, but instead that she wants attention. If she knows someone is home, she's going to try her best to get them to let her out. This is why it is very important to never let a dog out of the crate if she is crying/whining/barking/whimpering.

9 times out of 10, a dog that cries while you're home will settle down and go to sleep not long after you leave. If you are concerned, set up a camcorder while you're gone and see what the dog does.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've had a very successful weekend!!!!! Saturday we decided to test the waters and see how Stella would do if we allowed her access to the upstairs part of the house. We closed the bedroom doors....picked up the trashcan in the bathroom and took down the barricade on the stairs!

She's doing FANTASTIC! She's laying on a bed on the floor of the office right behind me. She seems to be handling the extra freedom quite well. My husbad feels better about not feeling like he has to crate her if he goes upstairs to the office.

The last 2 nights...she gave 2 or 3 short barks when she went into her crate for the night and then quieted right down.

I think our Stella girl is going to be ok and as soon as she masters the potty training may not need her crate at all!!! YAY!!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stella is doing super duper in her crate!!! We've been giving her a treat (actually just a piece of her dogfood) everytime she goes into the crate on her own. Now she'll go in....sit down...and stare at you like, "Hello? Don't I get something?" We keep the crate in the kitchen and she'll lay in there all on her own when we're in the kitchen puttering around.

At night....there has been no barking or crying. She barked at about 2am this morning....I waited til she was quiet...went downstairs and took her outside....she peed and went right back into the crate. Not a peep out of her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts