Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I use to put my puppy in a puupy fence

The problem that she is 8 month old and when me and my wife don't watch her she can grab something to eat. she eats almost everything (walls, plastics , wood, ... she like hard stuff :(), that's why we are putting her on this fence at night and when we are at work.

Do you suggest other tool ? maybe a crate? should it be dark or like a fence?
I guess that putting her on this fence for more than 16 hours is not reccomended but i have no choice. what can I do ??

I have a doggy sitter that take her out once a day but she seem to be very aggressive when we come back from work. (altought we are taking her for a walk 4 or 5 times a day - every walk at least 15 minutes)

BR,
Aviad Avi

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
If your puppy is not escaping the pen, then I see nothing wrong with using the fence (play pen) for during the workday and overnight. However, many larger or active older puppies can climb or jump out of the play pen easily so a large crate (I like the wire crates for more airflow) is better to contain them.

Your dog is probably NOT "aggressive" when you get home but simply has lots of energy and Labs are a mouthy breed. Is as least one of the walks a brisk, longer walk of no less than 30 minutes (on hot days) or preferably 45 minutes- 1 hour on nicer weather days? If you're not exercising her enough with long walks, she's not getting tired and will be far more annoying and destroy more stuff. Giving several shorter walks PLUS a long walk is great, it lets her pee and stretch her legs but she NEEDS a long walk. If you have a yard, including a good playtime romp in the yard everyday plus the long walk will do wonders towards a better behaved dog.
No on-leash running yet since she's not full grown, but running around a grassy yard or field is safe and fun. By "on-leash" running, I mean like going in a straight line next to a human on sidewalk or pavement or anytime that the dog isn't choosing the pace and direction. You can of course use a long leash to let her safely run around in an unfenced area.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Are you only walking an 8 month old lab for 15 minutes when she's at home alone/confined for 16 hours a day?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Aren't most dogs confined for 16 hours? 8 hours sleeping, 8 hours at work?

But you did say more than 16 hours, right? Hmm. Any way you can increase her interaction with the family? Labs are very high energy and love being with people, so the more time you can spend with her, the better. Also, 6 walks of 15 minutes each only comes to an hour and a half, which is probbaly not enough for an 8-month-old Lab. Can you make her walks longer? Get her to the park or somewhere else she can run?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But shes still confined for 16 hours? Try not to take this the wrong way but why would you get a puppy if theyre confined for 16 hours ...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I tell you why. because I saved her life. I decided to adopt her. I buy her the most expensive things , she is like anything to me.

I am sleeping 7 hours and working ~9 hours. furthermore, I am not saving money to take a doggy sitter for half of hour per day.
of course at the weekends she is our of her pen except the nights. (when I can't watch her 24/7) .

Moreover, when i'm back from work I'm spending with her an hour playing with a ball at home.

I'll try to increase time with her.. BUT it is important for all of you to understand that confined her 16 hours in a pen just for her safety..

·
Registered
262 Posts
F
I tell you why. because I saved her life. I decided to adopt her. I buy her the most expensive things , she is like anything to me.

I am sleeping 7 hours and working ~9 hours. furthermore, I am not saving money to take a doggy sitter for half of hour per day.
of course at the weekends she is our of her pen except the nights. (when I can't watch her 24/7) .

Moreover, when i'm back from work I'm spending with her an hour playing with a ball at home.

I'll try to increase time with her.. BUT it is important for all of you to understand that confined her 16 hours in a pen just for her safety..
I'm glad you saved her life , really but you dont need to buy her expensive things. She doesnt know theyre expensive, shes an 8 month old puppy he doesnt really care either. I sleep 8 hours and my dogs are confined but not for 8 hours during the day.

The 7 hours do sleep is obvious, you have to sleep. But 9 hours? You would leave a toddler in their play pen for 9 hours. I understand you saved her life but 9 hours is a large amount of time for a dog to be alone, let alone a puppy even with a dog sitter coming in for what half an hour?

Puppy kindergarten is a great idea, socialization lots of play time. I understand people have to work but there are things you can do instead of leaving a puppy home alone for 9 hours. Please take my suggestion into serious consideration as i bet you do love her with youre everything.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Aren't most dogs confined for 16 hours? 8 hours sleeping, 8 hours at work?

But you did say more than 16 hours, right? Hmm. Any way you can increase her interaction with the family? Labs are very high energy and love being with people, so the more time you can spend with her, the better. Also, 6 walks of 15 minutes each only comes to an hour and a half, which is probbaly not enough for an 8-month-old Lab. Can you make her walks longer? Get her to the park or somewhere else she can run?
8 hours is still long for a puppy, someone should still have someone come in the middle so the puppy is only left for 4 hours.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I believe they do have a dogsitter come in the middle of the day. . .

I have a doggy sitter that take her out once a day

·
Registered
11,282 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with confining an older puppy to a pen for the daytime and overnight. I wouldn't trust an 8 month old Lab loose in the house. Maybe at 2 years or 3 years old, sure. But confining her for the daytime is for her safety and really, they just sleep most of the day when we are gone anyway. A daytime potty break is good but other than that, I believe that (within reason, as in a typical workday and typical nights sleep) it is quality time that matters most, not quantity.

I really do suggest though that at least one of the walks be a LONG brisk walk. Even better is a long walk with a few minutes of training every now and then to keep her mind engaged. For example, have her stop and sit at each street corner. Or halfway through, ask for her to sit and lay down and shake hands before continuing walk. You get the idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts