Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one year old Cattle Dog puppy and we have been struggling with crate training for the past three weeks! He goes in the crate just dandy, the problems arise the moment we step away. At first he was whining, yipping and it almost looked like he was grabbing onto the bars and rattling the door. There were even demands for an attorney to be present and claims of false imprisonment! Currently, he's much less litigious, only whining and yipping for 20 - 30 minutes at each crating. My concern is about him getting and staying in an 'activated' state of mind. It's been a while since I've had a puppy, but I sure don't remember it ever taking this long!

The rescue he came from said the crate should be on our bedroom to facilitate bonding, but then our trainer and skads of books say the crate should be in a main living area. We have a tri-level home, I don't think I can wrangle a 30 inch crate up and down the stairs 2x's per day, so should I get a second crate?:confused:

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have 5 crates and 2 exercise pens and 2 small dogs. 4 crates and 1 exercise pen are in use right now. Handy things. I'd get another one. Perhaps you could find one on Craig's List? The small plastic ones go in the car, the huge wire one is for time outs in the living room, the large plastic one is for bedtime and the pen is outside for feeding raw meals.

Sounds like he is getting it. My new 2 year old spaniel mix sounds exactly the same with an added twist. He shuts up if he knows we are coming as he knows we won't approach the pen/crate if he is rattling the door or making loud noises. He is positive he is training us by being noisy when he doesn't know where we are and quiet if he does. Good thing he is cute.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so I'm not insane or a "bad mommy," his words, not mine... Thanks for the reassurance, I feel like I need a support group!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Definitely two crates. I have crates in my bedroom and on the main floor for the dogs who use crates. Mine are 42", there's no way I'm moving those suckers up and down the stairs twice a day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks! At the moment, I am lugging his 30 inch crate up and down the stairs. BUT, I do have a SECOND travel style crate on order from Amazon. It's really kind off an awesome crate, all four sides open like the old "flip up" garage doors. I had to get one that is plastic with the wire embedded as our "little snapper" chewed through his first crate on the ride home!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
If he's down to 20-30min of whining, then that's not too bad. He's getting better. I might be concerned if it were hours, but 20-30min is not that bad.

When my adult dog was a puppy, his crate was in our bedroom and he was in there during the day and overnight. My puppy is crated in our bedroom at night and in the living area during the day, just because we have more than one crate now and it's convenient. Just pick the place you want the crate to be and leave it there, no need to move it. If you want the dog to sleep in your bedroom with you at night long term, then I would keep it in the bedroom.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Ahhh puppy tantrums LOL ... Lincoln HATED his crate when he was a puppy, like throw himself against the sides, digging at the door while howling like a banchee hate. I had to ride it all out, as much as you hate it, you just have to sometimes let them cry it out. I put my crates in my bedroom usually, if I can ( here there isnt room and its an efficiency apt, so the living room, kitchen and dining area are one space, the bedroom and bathroom are another but he can still see the bedroom from his crate). where i raised him, the crate was in my bedroom facing my bed so he could always see me.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Tough love... Do NOT go back to him while he is making a fuss...

As far as crate placement..

I have two for puppies... One in with the big dogs and one in the bedroom....

Merlin has a crate as does the Hell Bitch.... I might crate them for a few minutes for management... But Mostly they are never crated....

Keely the 3 year old Labrador gets crated.She has one crate...

Pyro the ACD pup is going to one crate soon...

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
haha JB I like how you refer to that female as "the hell bitch" I always LOL at that.

At almost a year old this puppy shouldnt be throwing tantrums anymore, my dude is almost a year and he voluntarily sleeps in his crate during the day sometimes. He is one that never liked his crate, so I made it a game of "go find the treat". I would toss a few zukes mini naturals (they are like doggy crack to him LOL) and have him go find them, I would do this a few times throughout the day, then I would do it, close the door, wait a second, then open the door again, then we graduated to closing the door and latching it, and opening it again, then leaving it latched for 30 sec, now when he hears the treat bag open, he runs inside his crate for his game of "find the treat" LOL.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the most part, he's settled into the crate thang... what a tight rope to walk!!!! His previous owner surrendered him because he was "crated too much," which I translate to mean they were toeing the line of neglect. He's down to several minutes of yipping each night before a long resigned sigh and groan. Really?!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a one year old Cattle Dog puppy and we have been struggling with crate training for the past three weeks! He goes in the crate just dandy, the problems arise the moment we step away. At first he was whining, yipping and it almost looked like he was grabbing onto the bars and rattling the door. There were even demands for an attorney to be present and claims of false imprisonment! Currently, he's much less litigious, only whining and yipping for 20 - 30 minutes at each crating. My concern is about him getting and staying in an 'activated' state of mind. It's been a while since I've had a puppy, but I sure don't remember it ever taking this long!

The rescue he came from said the crate should be on our bedroom to facilitate bonding, but then our trainer and skads of books say the crate should be in a main living area. We have a tri-level home, I don't think I can wrangle a 30 inch crate up and down the stairs 2x's per day, so should I get a second crate?:confused:
So don't crate him? Seems pretty simple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts