Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 6 month old puppy. For the last several months she has been putting herself in her crate before I leave for work or before bed. I usually reach in, pet her belly and tell her she's a good girl.

Well, the last 3 days when it's time to go in her crate- she doesn't, and when I reach for her to put her in there she growls and bites at me. I have to eventually grab ahold of her collar and drag her in there. I hate this and I don't want her to associate her crate with negative feelings.

Any suggestions on how to address this or thoughts on what may have changed? Nothing in our routine is different.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Have you tried luring her inside the crate with treats? Giving her a special treat, like a frozen stuffed Kong, to make the crate a happy and positive place?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Don't make it a fight. Every time you drag her in there you are teaching her it is a bad thing. It can also damage your relationship with your dog.

FEED her meals in the crate and shute the crate door and let her out after she is done eating. I would also have something really good.. Deli Roast beef it need be.. and toss it in the crate. Do this when you are NOT going out and leave the door open. After doing this a couple of days shut the door but only for a bit. IOW's show her the crate is not always a prison. It is just a place to be and no drama.

When you must go out the Kong idea or a raw meaty bone is a good idea to keep her busy for awhile after you leave.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello. I have a 6 month old puppy. For the last several months she has been putting herself in her crate before I leave for work or before bed. I usually reach in, pet her belly and tell her she's a good girl.

Well, the last 3 days when it's time to go in her crate- she doesn't, and when I reach for her to put her in there she growls and bites at me. I have to eventually grab ahold of her collar and drag her in there. I hate this and I don't want her to associate her crate with negative feelings.

Any suggestions on how to address this or thoughts on what may have changed? Nothing in our routine is different.
I would not want to sleep is a crate. That is why I never made my dogs sleep in one.

The puppy would be much happier with freedom rather than be put in a small crate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts