Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Crate Behavior

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  golfer 
#1 ·
My 2.5 yo shepard hides in her crate as an "excuse" not to guard. I have to wake her up.

During the day when I'm not working if I take a nap, or I'm reading in bed she "guards" alerting me to people around my house or in my apt.

When I work I assume she "guards" the house all day.

As soon as she goes in the crate no outside noise will make her get up besides me calling her out.

If she's not in her crate, she responds instantly, one or two alert barks for an outside problem and a bark and a quick talk-like growl for something occuring inside my apt. (which is what I want, I'm single and living alone, and want my dog to bark)

What can I do to get her to be a better guard without taking away the security of her crate?

#2 ·
Sophie: I don't know much about guard dogs, but it would seem as though you have a pretty good set up.
Just a question, but, can you expect a guard dog to guard 24 hours a day without rest?
Doesn't sound like the dog is a very light sleeper, and I don't know if that can be changed.
Is it practical to give the dog a specific time to rest while you up your vigilance or am I totally missing the point here?

#4 ·
She seemed to naturally be alert, and non-aggressive protective since I got her. She's 2.5 and has been in a shelter since 8mo's.

I know all dogs need jobs so they don't get board or distructive. She seems pretty happy "guarding" when she feels like it.

My other dog, a JRT/Fox terrier, job was to learn and do tricks. She was a very intellegent dog who would turn the radio on and off at whim, turn my hazards on if I left her in the car, beg, bow, peekaboo, rollover, shake, hi-five, lo-five, walk on her hind legs and was learning to yawn on command. Teaching her tricks changed and shaped her behavior. I loved the dog she was turning into. Adopted from a shelter she suffered terrible separation anxiety and I blame her death on that.

My parent's dog (the dog I grew up with) was a german shepard but my parents never gave her a job so even at age 15 she was still running off becuase she was board.

By comparison this dog is LAZY! She does have what i call "silly tantrums" when I come home or bring her in from the outside where she can't seem to calm herself. But unlike my Jack/fox terrier when she's done, she will flop down. She does NOT want to learn tricks. She will heel like a dream, sit, and lay down but she won't even shake after a month of trying to drill it into her.

She wants to sleep most of the time, albeit with one eye open.

She will "play" almost always only by herself, if I engage her she will forget about me and play. But I don't consider playing a job as it makes no human-dog bond.

I figure by training her to react to outside& inside noises it gives her a job to do.

I just want her to be secure and happy and prevent any stress or bordem disorders.

#5 ·
I have disagree with 'play' not being a dog-human bonding time; It can be, especially if you choose not to leave toys out for the dog to 'entertain' himself when he wishes... All my puppy toys are in a closet, and my dogs know when a toy comes out it's time to play. I also have a toy in my poodle's 'grooming basket' in our furnace room...he knows that when I am done with his evening brush out, we are going to play. My dog is also not food driven, so play is a way of keeping him motivated to learn new things.

As far as your 'guard' dog issue...In a way, I think it's a non issue, issue. You already know she will alert you; I believe that even if a dog is 'quote un quote' dead to the world, he or she WILL wake up if something is awry...if your dog is comfortable, then you can take comfort too, because there is nothing going on around you to concern your dog. Trust me, your dog would protect you, especially if you know you have a trusting, loving relationship with her. ;)

#6 ·
Do you think your dog could have developmental problems? She may not have learned how to play as a puppy [some call this social problems].
As I understand it, you would like her to become more than just a guard dog. Is that correct?
If so, you may haver to look for behavorial ways to help her develope. What I am attempting to say is if she does something, you use tht to become a tool.
ie; We had a dog that I was shakind my finger at a scolding one day. Ruby bared her teeth at me [ I was concerned at the time, but determined this was not an agressive move , but just a response on her part]. After I determined she was not going to tear my arm off, I used her "smile" when a friend would come over or something. I would say, "Ruby, what do you think of Randy today and shake my finger at her. Ruby would bare her teeth and it was a good trick.
Hope I am making sense of all this. I'm sure you have already done this with you Jack Terrior. I'm just thinking that 2.5 years, you may have to find some dirfferent ways to get through to the dog.
Please disregard if I am off track here.
Best wishes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.