Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll probably have a bunch of these little questions. I'll be getting my puppy next week. I'll have the whole week off to focus on him and crate and house training, but after that he will probably be in the crate in the mornings and afternoons while I am in class (i'll be home for lunch). I don't think i'll want to crate him more than he'll need to be when i'm not there. Is it a good idea to let him sleep with me at night, or will he need to be crated then too? Is just seems like a long time to have him crated if he doesn't need to be. Any advice is helpful. I'm new to the dog thing so lay it on.

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Ok, I'll probably have a bunch of these little questions. I'll be getting my puppy next week. I'll have the whole week off to focus on him and crate and house training but after that he will probably be in the crate in the mornings and afternoons while I am in class (i'll be home for lunch).
Well that is a reasonable plan but it depends on the age of your puppy. Generally speaking, the number of hours your pup can stay in his crate is his age in months plus one.

I don't think i'll want to crate him more than he'll need to be when i'm not there. Is it a good idea to let him sleep with me at night, or will he need to be crated then too? Is just seems like a long time to have him crated if he doesn't need to be. Any advice is helpful. I'm new to the dog thing so lay it on.
You will have to take your puppy outside at least once during the night for quite a while. Many people simply move the crate next to their bed during the night so they can be sure to hear when he needs to go out. You can also do a close tether next to the bed. Either way is a much better idea than having your pup in the bed or wandering around free.

Let me give you a fair warning here. Many, many puppies are nowhere near being housetrained after a week, and you just have to keep at it. Although some pups can be mostly housetrained in a week, even then you will still need to continue with your "errorless housetraining" for some time to really nail down that behavior.

And remember that even with "errorless housetraining", accidents will happen

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Ok, I'll probably have a bunch of these little questions. I'll be getting my puppy next week. I'll have the whole week off to focus on him and crate and house training, but after that he will probably be in the crate in the mornings and afternoons while I am in class (i'll be home for lunch). I don't think i'll want to crate him more than he'll need to be when i'm not there. Is it a good idea to let him sleep with me at night, or will he need to be crated then too? Is just seems like a long time to have him crated if he doesn't need to be. Any advice is helpful. I'm new to the dog thing so lay it on.

Thanks,

Bryan
People do it both ways and it seems to work out just fine. Personally, I prefer my dogs sleep in the bedroom with me and hubby, and are crated during the day when we are at work/school. But I know of people who crate their dogs for the night and they look just fine to me. I think it is a personal choice :)

IMHO, if they are crated a lot during the day, it might be nice to be out of it for the night.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's gonna be about 11 weeks when I get him on Thursday. should at max he should be able to hold it 3-4 hours. I know house training will take longer than a week too. Any tips on that specifically?

Emily, that was kinda my logic as well. But I also know I want to do what's right by him. Also a little worried about him wetting the bed now (don't want that). And at the same time I know it will break my heart to hear him whine at night. :: sigh :: . This is gonna be tough, haha.

thanks for all the advice.

-Bryan

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would go by the basic crate training rules. If you can't supervise, crate. I found this way they train faster and then the time will come sooner that they can be left out all night or when you leave for awhile. The only time I have to crate my dog now is when no one is home. If I didn't have to worry about him breaking into the room with the cat food, I wouldn't even have to crate him then. My new rescue dog has to be crated more often...when we are gone, at night and sometimes when we can't pay attention to her. Eventually, I hope, she will be able to be minimally crated also.

My dogs do not mind the crate. We make it a good place. It is their safe, comffy place. It is never used for punishment. My dogs will go in by themselves to sleep during the day and they have other options like dog beds and the couch.

Good luck with your training.....it is going to take time.

Tricia

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't feel bad at all about crating Mojo--he loves his crate. Wonderful things happen in that crate and he likes to be where wonderful things happen!

He's crated at night for a lot of reasons but mostly for his own safety. My original plan was to only crate him at night till he was house trained but now I think it's better for him to have his own space to sleep where I don't have to worry about him getting into something he shouldn't.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I don't feel bad at all about crating Mojo--he loves his crate. Wonderful things happen in that crate and he likes to be where wonderful things happen!

He's crated at night for a lot of reasons but mostly for his own safety. My original plan was to only crate him at night till he was house trained but now I think it's better for him to have his own space to sleep where I don't have to worry about him getting into something he shouldn't.
That is how I think about it as well.

I was a little ruthless with Uallis and the crate. ;) When I first got him, of course, he didn't really take to the crate all that well. I just let him whine it out. After about a week or so, he got the idea that whining didn't work, so he laid down and went to sleep. He also had to take all of his naps in the crate, eat in the crate, all of his toys were in the crate. Everything that was important to him happened in the crate. When he started going into the crate on his own to nap or play or whatever, he'd sometimes hit the "jackpot" in treats. But I didn't feel bad or anything at all when he'd whine in his crate. It was just they way it had to be and that was that. Now, he would prefer to sleep out of his crate for sure as he loves sleeping on the couch, but he still has to be crated at night (except on weekends) and when I'm at work. I just open the door to the crate and he just walks in a lays down. He knows the deal and how things are run around here. haha The reason Uallis had to sleep in his crate at night was because I didn't want to wake up to accidents all over the floor, which would setback house training. If my eyes couldn't be on him and watching, then he was crated. Now, of course, I'm not that strict about it. Also, when he was a pup, his crate was in the living room. I slept on the couch next to his crate so I could hear when he'd need to go out in the night. Sometimes, I'd set my alarm to wake me up. Also, if he was whining excessively, I'd stick my fingers in there to assure him that he wasn't totally alone and I was still "there". I didn't have it in my bedroom because the room is too small. But he was most definitely in the crate at night.

Eddie on the other hand, LOVES his crate and is often found sleeping in it on his own, or he'll take his toys in there to play or whatever. He is a dog that really enjoys it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice everyone. That also raises another question. I live in a apartment with 2 other people. I want to keep the crate in the living room, so that my roommates can let him out and play with him if they want to, but I'm reading that I should keep it in my room for night. any thoughts?

I just want to say that I really appreciate all the advice yall are giving me.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Emily, that was kinda my logic as well. But I also know I want to do what's right by him. Also a little worried about him wetting the bed now (don't want that). And at the same time I know it will break my heart to hear him whine at night. :: sigh :: . This is gonna be tough, haha.

-Bryan
Yeah that is a worry of mine too, lol. We just got a puppy, she is about 11 weeks and I worry about her peeing on the bed when she's up there. But for most of the night she sleeps on the floor...so no bigger there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I got my puppy she was 8 weeks old. I crated her at night next to my bed so I could hear her. The first four nights she cried a lot but I put my hand through the holes and she calmed down. A couple hours later she would cry again so I would take her to go potty. I think the cry for attention was different than the cry for pee or poo. First few weeks I would put her in the crate at night at 11pm right after her going potty, wake up twice during the night to let her out ( usually around 1am and 5 am) , and wake up at 7am to let her out very first thing. I didn't let her sleep on my bed but I did do cuddles in the bed for a little bit after letting her out at 7 am. I didn't paper train her or use puppy pee pads because I never ever wanted her to pee or poo in the house and think it was ok for her to do that. During the day I let my grandma look after her so I was very lucky with that since she was able to let her out very often. She was completely house trained three weeks after I got her.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't paper train her or use puppy pee pads because I never ever wanted her to pee or poo in the house and think it was ok for her to do that. During the day I let my grandma look after her so I was very lucky with that since she was able to let her out very often. She was completely house trained three weeks after I got her.
I'm thinking I'm the the same way in that. I think it'd be confusing to say pee inside. Wait bad dog don't pee inside. Ok pee inside. It'd be nice to have at night but I think it would confuse him or make him go in those spots after the pad is removed.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
We use paper in the beginning because that's what the puppies used at their breeder's house. And it's easier to clean up, plus!!! She uses it about 3/4 of the time she goes in the house, most of the time she just goes wherever. I haven't started correcting for going inside the house yet...just giving treats for going outside.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts