Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other crating post got me thinking, and this one is a bit different. When I go back to work at the end of next month, Luna will be about 4 months old. I could crate her, but it would be for around 8 hours a day, and she can make it 6 hours now without incident. I have the option of penning her in the back yard. Her pen is about 12'X14' and she will have a dog house in there as well for shelter. I can't leave her run in the yard freely as there are holes in the fence and the mailman ALWAYS leaves the gate open no matter how many times I ask him to close it. The pen area is shaded all day and private so that no one can see her or wander in and bother her. My mom will be home all day, but she is on a walker and can't bend down to the crate or take Luna outside for me. In the future, I will have the fence fixed and move the mailbox, but for now, these are my choices. So, in your opinion, crate or pen outside? BTW - She sleeps inside and is an inside dog.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Personally, I am not a fan of penning outside. It just leaves the dog too exposed and with too much to stimulate her.

But, if she can handle it it may work for you. Even though it is shaded, will it stay cool?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I would absolutely consider this as a viable option, as long as it's cool enough in the summer and warm enough in the winter. I would put a lock on the door of the kennel. But she can play easier and move around (which dogs do if they are left in the house all day). As long as she has plenty of water, some toys and a few fun chewies (frozen stuffed kong), I would much prefer it to crating my dog.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. I put her in her pen today while I went to the grocery. I was gone for just over an hour. My mom said she checked on her and she was fine. Didn't make a peep. I also have a neighbor that has been layed off. As long as she is off, she will look in on her as well. She is right next door and can check on her when she walks her dogs. I just want to make sure Luna is happy and safe. :)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I would say it's well worth the try. If it doesn't work out for some reason, or temps get too high or too low, you may have to resort to something else.
What kind of dog is Luna?
You're very lucky that you have a neighbor who is willing to work with you & has even offered to check on things. So that if your dog starts nuisance barking you'll be told about it kindly first, rather than just having a neighbor call officials first, or if somehow Luna gets out. It would also be good idea to give the neighbor your work or cell phone # too, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say it's well worth the try. If it doesn't work out for some reason, or temps get too high or too low, you may have to resort to something else.
What kind of dog is Luna?
You're very lucky that you have a neighbor who is willing to work with you & has even offered to check on things. So that if your dog starts nuisance barking you'll be told about it kindly first, rather than just having a neighbor call officials first, or if somehow Luna gets out. It would also be good idea to give the neighbor your work or cell phone # too, if you haven't already.
We'll definitely make a change of plan if the temps are too much one way or the other.
Luna is an Aussie, and I am hoping to get pics up soon, because she is GORGEOUS!!!
I plan on making official arrangements with my neighbor before I go back to work, but I have about 5 more weeks of summer vacation. (YAY!)
Thanks for your input. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts