Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else here love craft breweries? I think of our favorite one as our "third place" there's home, work and the brewery. The beer is good but the appeal is truly the people. The staff know us and our older dog Rosie. She LOVES it when they bring her a bowl of water! We plan on taking our puppy Gracie in often as well to socialize. I'm really happy the way the craft beer business has expanded here. My waistline, on the other hand...lol

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
My husband co-founded a local nanobrewery, so I think I probably have to say yes. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's so cool. I'm not familiar with the term, what's a nanobrewery?
My husband is a homebrewer (he claims he's just a "ham and egger" but he's won some local competitions and one of our local breweries used his IPA recipe a few years ago. We thought it was just going to be their 15 gallon experimental vat. Imagining our surprise when it was 420 gallons! They sold out of it pretty fast too, I was so proud of him! But the best part was he got to help them with the brewing (he's a welder by trade). He never realized before that how much work it is to brew that much. Fun though.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
A nanobrewery is like a microbrewery but even smaller. My husband's system is under 200 gallons (I don't remember exactly... I feel like its a 5 barrel system, or ~160 gallons).

That's really exciting! And actually, pretty much how my husband got into the business seriously, although he was working at another local brewery at the time.

Brewing is a ton of work, at least in small scale. My husband jokes that his job is 5% brewing, 10% paperwork, and 85% cleaning.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, so true! I am the queen of bottle washing. Rosie is our brew dog. Not sure what Gracie (our 5 month old puppy) will be yet. Official spent grain dog treat taster? Yup, she'd like that.
I think one of our favorite bartenders told us about nanobreweries when he moved to Oakland, CA. He said they're very popular there. Best wishes for yours!

·
Registered
216 Posts
My brother home brews and my sister designs custom labels for him. He doesn’t do a huge volume and he gives away much of what he brews, but enough that his wife agreed to let him add a small brewery room onto the house. Anything to get him out of the kitchen and garage!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yeah, my FiL and BiL brew their own as well! BiL designed their labels. They don't sell yet, but they seem to really enjoy the hobby - they send us to the home brewing store near our house for supplies often enough! My wife's done a batch or two with them. I'm not a beer drinker at all, but they've turned out nice ciders in the past.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
The Throwback Brewery is my favorite brewery - and walking distance from my house. Dangerous! :)
They're on a farm and they grow their own everything. It's just an awesome place - awesome brew and amazing food (albeit on the expensive side)
But you have to try every flavor beer - even if it sounds super-ick - like the recipe made with jalapenos...it's good, but the taste sticks with you for HOURS. LOL
Sometimes I wonder where the brewers come up with some of those flavors (I've even seen a "Clamato" one somewhere - uh, eew!)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Throwback Brewery is my favorite brewery - and walking distance from my house. Dangerous! :)
They're on a farm and they grow their own everything. It's just an awesome place - awesome brew and amazing food (albeit on the expensive side)
But you have to try every flavor beer - even if it sounds super-ick - like the recipe made with jalapenos...it's good, but the taste sticks with you for HOURS. LOL
Sometimes I wonder where the brewers come up with some of those flavors (I've even seen a "Clamato" one somewhere - uh, eew!)
Walking distance would be dangerous! Especially if they're dog friendly. Fresh ingredients make such a difference. One of my husband's favorite IPA beers had fresh grown hops. It's from a ranch outside of Eagle's Nest NM and the brewery is called Comanche Creek. Ironically though, not very dog friendly (at least for our Rosie) because the owner's dogs are there.
When I first read your comment I thought you said "cilantro" I was about to respond that's not so weird and then noticed "clamato", I agree, eww.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts