Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate to see any animal killed :( ... But I heard of an 82 lb coyote killed on the radio this morning and well had to check out the images myself.

Mods, if this is not aloud to be here, I totally understand (id just like some input) so please, feel free to take this down :)

Coyotes are only suppose to weigh 20-50 lbs whiles grey wolves start at 80lbs
Sure he could be a large coyote, but just take a look at him

Here in Newfoundland, we no longer have wolves as the newfoundland wolf is extinct. But this guy has raised some questions and has a DNA sample sent to the lab.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I always thought coyotes, compared to wolves, had slightly larger/more prominent ears, and were smaller and "thinner". So it's kind of hard to tell from that picture...its head and coloring looks like a classic Hollywood wolf, that's for sure. And it seems a lot larger than the average coyote. Would like to hear how the DNA test goes!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
IMHO it looks awfully large for a coyote. The ears have me stumped too.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Definitely wolf.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks everyone!
Still awaiting on the news on the DNA from vocm. If it is a wolf, i'd asume he came over the same way the coyotes came over ( on the ice ).
Because wolves are pack animals, what are the chances of more? or could it be a solitary animal.

It took several years before the Newfoundland government admitted there were coyotes on the island, so im curious as to what they'll say this guy is.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thanks everyone!
Still awaiting on the news on the DNA from vocm. If it is a wolf, i'd asume he came over the same way the coyotes came over ( on the ice ).
Because wolves are pack animals, what are the chances of more? or could it be a solitary animal.

It took several years before the Newfoundland government admitted there were coyotes on the island, so im curious as to what they'll say this guy is.
I was wondering the same thing you are ... but could it have been a lone wolf that someone had as a pet? What if this is determined a Wolf .... which it certainly looks that way ... what will happen if it is admitted and there are more? Will they become an endangered species in your area or will they try to eradicate them?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was wondering the same thing you are ... but could it have been a lone wolf that someone had as a pet? What if this is determined a Wolf .... which it certainly looks that way ... what will happen if it is admitted and there are more? Will they become an endangered species in your area or will they try to eradicate them?
Well, we had the newfoundland wolf that was hunted to extinction back in 1913 I believe. There was some talk of bringing wolves over to control the moose and coyote problem . It never happened . If this is a wolf ( which honestly I hope it is ) I ..humm.. I think they'd leave them alone just for the purpose of killing off the moose and coyote. After those populations are under control God knows what will happen :(

So far as far as DNA, some people are claiming the results are back and that its a coyote ( I actually found that on some random hunting forum.... -_- ) but in the news, theres nothing so I dont believe that forum. Newfoundlanders will call anything that looks like a wild dog a coyote.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That's a wolf. He looks like a big, healthy specimen too..I'd guess a pet.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
what are the chances of more?
about 50/50 i would think due to the fact that you have periodic disbursements from wolf packs when cubs grow up and move off to do their own thing. these would be pretty regular across the board provided pups continue to be born.

it's a wolf. that is no coyote. this is a coyote.

this is a wolf.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's nearly no question in my mind that this is a wolf. Possibly, though I wouldn't bet on it, a wolf-dog that just ended up more "wolfey." I agree with some of the other posters, there's a solid chance this was somebody's pet.

Can't wait for the DNA!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sure looks like a wolf to me. Or a dog...coyote doesn't even come to mind from that picture. I'm not a hunter, but I don't disagree with hunting as long as it's done responsibly and legally. I have to say though that the pictures with predators (bear, mountain lion, coyote, wolf) always kinda' freak me out. I guess it's because I don't think of them as food (I know people eat bear).

·
Registered
943 Posts
That is most certainly a wolf, or atleast like others have said, a wolf hybrid with atleast a %90 content .. lol doesn't surprise me that Newfies think its a coyote.. LOL. J/k.. had to throw a newfie joke out there.

Why was it killed? With the over abundance of moose population in Newfoundland, and the amount of destruction they cause to people and property each year, they should be welcoming wolves in to help with the moose population. Unless of course, someone smuggled it over and attempted to have it as a pet or something. It looked like a very healthy animal, perhaps it has been feeding on all the moose. Its a shame it was destroyed.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
That's definitely a wolf.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
another vote for wolf

total of votes so far
coyote=0
wolf=14
So far the wolf vote is winning!