Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I adopted my dog from the SPCA in the summer of 1999. At that time, I was told she was about 3 months old and was a sheltie/rat terrier mix. I've never thought she was what they told me, but it wasn't until recently that I started to do research on coyotes breeding with domestic dogs. She is now approximately 12 years old and weighs about 38 pounds (more or less). She will never touch a toy. She's only concerned about food. Over the years, she has killed numerous mice, squirrels, and birds. She howls nonstop. She's very submissive to me and doesn't show much affection to many other people. Also, I live in an area where coyotes are very common. If anyone has an idea of what she might be, I'd greatly appreciate the insight. I'm attaching a picture of her when I first got her as well as recent ones.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
She doesn't look like a hybrid to me, just a pretty mixed-breed with some quirks. If she "howls" it's more likely she has some hound in there somewhere than coyote.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you!

I just don't see hound in her... It's eating at me! Every time people see me out walking her they ask me if she's a coyote. Even my vet calls her "the little coyote."

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
There is no hound in that dog. A coyotexdog hybrid is possible.

Any dog of any breed can howl, baying is what hounds do. My weim puppy bays though. So we call her the hound dog.

More than likely your dog is a shepherd mix, as to what with who knows. I don't see sheltie or rat terrier either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A guy approached me when I was walking with her and said she looked exactly like his dog which was a german shepherd... But yes, I don't see rat terrier or sheltie either...

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I knew someone on another forum with a coydog. Trust me there was no mistaking that that dog had coyote in it. And she was a handful unlike any domestic dog.

Your dog doesn't look like a coydog to me. I see pretty much a pariah type dog (or a good mix of a mix). Check out Carolina dogs. Not saying she is a carolina dog, but rather of a similar type.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had never heard of a Carolina dog before... But from the pictures I'm pulling up, she looks just like one!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Carolina dogs are listed as a rare breed. What are the chances of them turning up in a shelter? Not saying its impossible just that its highly unlikely

I think a cattle dog/ shepherd mix is more likely.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I don't think Carolina Dogs are really even a breed? Aren't they just a type of dog?

I agree with Laurelin. She reminds me of Linney.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It looks similar to a few coydog pictures out there, but something I noticed - the eyes are more like a domestic dog's than a coydog's - where they will have yellow eyes. The ears definitely look like coydog ears though. The facial structure looks a little less like a coyote and more like a domestic dog. Not saying it is or isn't a coydog, but it does have some similar features and some features that stand out from coyote features.

Here is a picture of one that I thought looked similar but you can see the features that stand out between them.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/coydog%20pictures/Yotecallr/coydog-1.jpg

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

This is my friend's coydog, Athena. He found her way up on a mountain where coyotes are EVERYWHERE one fall while on a camping trip. They're guessing she's mixed with shepherd, but the coyote is absolutely in there. Athena is remarkably quiet and very shy, though never aggressive. It sounds like you may have a husky mix of some kind thrown in with some sort of herding dog rather then a coydog, just based on the pictures and behavior you've described.

·
Registered
496 Posts
wow she looks like my winter only a bit smaller! how crazy my mom is a firm believer my winter has coyote in her. Her mom is a rott/shep mix, but the owners had no idea who the dad was cause she got out, and coyotes are all over out here. I wouldnt doubt if she did have some. I know my winter when scared looks like a white coyote lol. though your dog is very beautiful!

sadly i wish people would spay there dogs i mean yes if the old owners didnt i would have my girl Winter but still :p.

very cute dog though :D to bad the testing to see what they are mixed with is a little on the $$$ side xD

·
Registered
496 Posts
i have thought about it as well but honestly i have no idea, and i dont know anyone who has used one :( guess the best place to start looking is on the internet and start researching it, i know im gonna start looking them up to get an idea.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was asking the same questions the other day. We just adopted a 6 month old puppy and the owner said he had german sheppard and collie in him....but when I walk him people say he looks like he has a bit of coyote in him. Not sure if he does but your dog kinda reminds me of Rex. I've decided that regardless of what breed he is we love him. He was a little shy at first, but has warmed up nicely. Still skittish...but even thats getting better. I have pictures up of Rex if you want to see them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts