Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...... And I just said that harnesses are easy to slip out of .... especially comfort harnesses.

I had a coupler last evening attached to Eddee and Blu Boy ... safety flashers going ... it was after 9:30pm and dark .... on the road and not the woods ... having a jolly old time .... and all of a sudden Eddee bolted and pulled the harness right off of Blu Boy! Scared me silly! Good thing Blu Boy listens to "stay" extremely well!

Back to the drawing board for us! I guess it is time for "H" Harnesses all the way around! Whew! .......

Any suggestions when using a coupler?

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
the only people I know who use couplers on dogs of any decent size (or likelyhood to bolt) use them on the Webmaster harness. I know I mention it whenever harnesses come up, but it really is the most secure and comfortable harness that I or anyone I know has found.

You can also to a little link between the collar and the harness with a carabiner or a double ended snap. Hard to say how it would fit for smaller dogs. On medium/big dogs, I like a snap-wire-snap hookup (a farm store can attach snaps to the ends up a 6-inch or so length of coated wire)

I generally hold two leads, even if only in the same hand.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks shell - I will have to check those harnesses and double ended snaps out for sure. I ended up attaching the coupler to Blu Boy's collar like a lead and using the actual lead on Eddee. We were a bit from home too. I do not like using a lead and a collar on them because they are so small ... I worry about their throats.

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
Here's an example of what i'm talking about for hooking harness to collar:

One source for a pre-made one is Ella's Lead

Or here's one that attaches to the leash (so, leash to harness, attachment from leash to collar)

And here's the harness ( you can see why it is dang near impossible to slip)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! The Webmaster harness is really not that expensive when you think about all the different ones you try first ... it adds up to just as much monetarily than if you just buy a good one right from the beginning! Lol! ... in case anyone else is pondering on what harness to purchase ... a good harness. :D .... Not to mention the possibility of your dog being injured or worse!

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
I was able to get mine on sale and bought a leash with it, plus shipping for $40.
It has gotten some real use and isn't any worse for the wear.

If someone is a big hiker and has a medium/large dog, it can be worth splurging for the backpack that has the webmaster as the base harness with detachable "saddle bags" for the backpack. Not cheap at all, but if you put in the miles, it is great. a few people I know use the full backpack combo (I just have the harness) and the packs stay nicely centered and balanced the whole hike.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found some on ebay for $49 and free shipping. :) I will keep looking for deals first! ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts