Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with my shelter dog, Rosie, a whippet/kelpie, to allow cars and trucks to use the roadway undisturbed. I have been using Natural Balance rolls chopped up into little treats. Tonight I got some steak leftovers that I would like to use. I have heard that the higher the treat value the more you can ask from the dog.

Does this mean that we can go closer to the road? We are currently at about 25' from the road, and she is wanting to act out at cars, but treat feeding prevents this. We had been at 50', but her reaction was only to be closely watching cars and trucks. I moved closer as I was concerned I was feeding treats that were not helping her with the cars and trucks.

Rob

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just using high value rewards as a standard treat will not produce faster results.

Using the higher value rewards to mark a well executed action will have the dog learning faster. So feed a lower value treat for slow or less accurate actions but a high value reward for fast or accurate work.

In your case I would be using the "Look at That game" with kibble for slow reactions but steak for instant reaction.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Well, you need higher value treats to get attention sometimes, but higher value treats don't really produce better effects in these situations. For example, I train commands with kibble, but when teaching "drop it", I need to use something seriously high value because kibble isn't tempting enough to get Kabota to drop whatever prize he's gotten hold of.

You'll know you can move closer when she stops reacting to the cars altogether and can keep her focus on you. (Did you train her "look at me"?) Once she can keep her focus on your face despite a car going by, move forward 5 feet, not 25. This sort of thing is a slow process. If you move forward and she isn't at all calm, move back again, rework that distance, then move forward just a teeny bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts