Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to refugees overloading Europe, I was beginning to think what I would do with my dogs if I would have to leave my country in war situation.I realized that I probably should be very desperate to just leave them and run.Can't imagine doing so,couldn't forgive my self.
So-could you imagine your self leaving your dog?

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
If it was down to saving my human family or staying with my dogs, yes, yes I could. It would break my heart, I might not ever recover from it, but I would. Much like I would jump in front of a moving bus to save my human kid, but would stand and scream and sob if it was my dog who was standing in the road. Much like there IS a financial limit to what I would spend to save a dog with a medical issue (that varies based on age of the dog and outcome - but still a limit).

I would not die for my dogs. I would not risk my life for my dogs. I would not risk homelessness or general security (with a family) for my dogs.

Love them intensely but there are lines. IMO the refugee situation is 200% about risk of human life, and frankly if you stay and die what have you achieved for the dogs, anyway?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Due to refugees overloading Europe, I was beginning to think what I would do with my dogs if I would have to leave my country in war situation.I realized that I probably should be very desperate to just leave them and run.Can't imagine doing so,couldn't forgive my self.
So-could you imagine your self leaving your dog?
You can just pack yours into a couple of handbags lol....
For me it's a question of could I stop my dog from leaving with me, I'd have to hold him back while shutting him behind a door while he's trying to shove him nose back in to get me.. Probably quicker to take him with me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never been in a war situation where I have to save my life,so probably I just can't imagine what would I really do. I guess I would try to find a way to at least put them to sleep,so I don't have to think that they are looking for me somewhere,that someone is abusing them,they are starving,freezing.
ginger,I guess I could :D

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Depends on the dog. With Loki - no, I never could have left him.

Despite awful backlash from my family and friends, I dropped a wonderful lease on a beautiful house so that I could afford his cancer surgery and treatments. It kept him alive for 10 weeks and pretty much financially broke me (cost me over a third of the yearly income I was making at the time). I'd do it again in a second. If there was some sort of magical button that I could have pushed to transfer his osteosarcoma to me, I would have pushed that button, no second thoughts.

I would have run in front of a car, or into a burning building, to save that dog. That particular dog. Honestly, this may make me a horrible person, but given the choice of saving Loki or a complete stranger, I would have gone for Loki. Unless the stranger was a kid. Then I probably would have had to shove the kid out of the way and then die along with my dog.

The other dogs... Not so much, would definitely save myself or other people over them. I'd be horribly sad if something happened to them, but I have a different relationship with them than I did like Loki.

These are easy decisions for me, as I'm an independent adult without any dependent family members, so I don't have to look out for anyone but myself, or worry about anyone else if something should happen to me. In fact, if I died, my life insurance would set my parents up for life, so they'd be financially better off without me around :)

ETA: Upon second thought, my parents would probably be better off sanity-wise without me around, too... :p

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I think it is impossible to know until you are in that dire of a situation. :(

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well there is no second thought that I would chose any of my dogs over a strange person if I would have to.Just because they are strange to me,I don't know them,they mean nothing to me,seeing them die wouldn't break my heart,of course I would feel sorry for them,but I would feel more sorry about my dog

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
When we lived overseas on a Navy base, it was made abundantly clear that in an evacuation situation, the base vets would be in a central location to euthanize all pets, and all pet owners would be required to do this before leaving :/. I always had nightmares about that. That's maybe not something kids should have to worry about, but I was a smart kid and read everything possible so I always found out about stuff I didn't need to know :p.

Honestly, if it got that bad I don't know what I would do. I always thought that if I had to leave the cats, I'd just rip open a big bag of cat food and leave all the windows open. Then they'd have food and shelter at least, and could go outside to hunt and find water if they had to. Dogs are more dependent of course, I have no idea what I'd do. I hope I never have to find out.

On a sad and possibly relevant note, the majority of pets in England were put down before/during WWII, to prevent their owners from having to worry about them in case of an emergency, and to save the food they'd eat: http://strangesounds.org/2014/05/creepy-true-stories-from-history-the-british-pet-holocaust-of-world-war-ii.html

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
If it was down to saving my human family or staying with my dogs, yes, yes I could. It would break my heart, I might not ever recover from it, but I would. Much like I would jump in front of a moving bus to save my human kid, but would stand and scream and sob if it was my dog who was standing in the road. Much like there IS a financial limit to what I would spend to save a dog with a medical issue (that varies based on age of the dog and outcome - but still a limit).

I would not die for my dogs. I would not risk my life for my dogs. I would not risk homelessness or general security (with a family) for my dogs.

Love them intensely but there are lines. IMO the refugee situation is 200% about risk of human life, and frankly if you stay and die what have you achieved for the dogs, anyway?
This. 100%. Every word.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Loki got away from me and ran into traffic on Ford Road once (one of the busiest non-highway roads in Michigan, speed limit 45, 5-6 lanes of traffic). I ran into traffic after him without even thinking twice.

About six months after I adopted him (mid-January), we went to a state park and a gun shot from nearby deer hunters scared him - he dove straight into a lake and just started swimming (damn idiot dog). I tossed my coat/boots off and went right in after him (I am not a very good swimmer). Finally convinced him to come back to me, then had to hike about half a mile to my car (mostly downhill :p) in freezing clothes, suffering from hypothermia and eventually getting frostbite.

... Wow, this reminds me of how much of a pain in the ass that dog was. Anyways, it is impossible to know until you're there, but the three times in my life I was on the verge of losing him (to getting hit by a car, to drowning and to cancer), I did everything within my power to save him, so I can fairly comfortably say that with him, there were no limits :)

ETA:

Much like there IS a financial limit to what I would spend to save a dog with a medical issue (that varies based on age of the dog and outcome - but still a limit).
Having to think about financial caps is the worst. Since Atlas is getting up there, I'm wondering more and more exactly what I'd be willing/able to do for him. It's a really hard thought process :(

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
There were forest fires near where I live that got so intense that cities of people had to be evacuated. The majority of people left their dogs and I was a part of the rescue efforts to catch vans/buses full of dogs, and get them out of there. The air quality was super bad so we all wore oxygen masks. It was super cool, and scary and really solidified with me that I couldn't leave mine behind. There were houses filled with animals that the owners left inside and it kind of broke my heart. A lot of families before we went down there would give us keys and addresses to their houses if they knew their pets were still inside. There was one dog who was tied up in the front yard and the owners left the sprinklers running around him... I imagine they thought it would stop fire from getting to him?

Would I leave my cat? Yes. Sorry, but my cat has a pretty large chance of surviving. Even displaced, or if he had to travel away from fire. He survived outside on his own for a year all scraggily and wild before I got him, I have faith he could make it on his own given a fighting chance. Or at least that makes it easier for me mentally to do it. Plus how in the heck would I get him to come with me? My dog would follow me every where and I probably wouldn't even need a leash.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I'm back in a hell hole because I couldn't bear the thought of my cat living outside. I gave up a good place, an increased future. For my hateful, rude cat.

And I have done some wild stuff for my dogs, have put myself in very dangerous situations to make sure they're safe.

In most situations, no I could never. I couldn't just walk off and leave them. It would kill me. With my depression and anxiety, it would probably kill me. Rehoming my husky with wonderful people who got her into a fantastic home is still ripping at me and it was over a year ago.

Now, that being said. I have no kids, nobody else who depends on me except my animals. If I was in a war situation... I don't know. Those people go through pure, uncombated hell, so I can imagine the desperation. I did recently read of a man who smuggled his puppy into Greece with him, but he's lucky to be alive. Unbelievably lucky.

But I would say that if it was a situation like... well. I would weigh it. Something like a flood, I'd get them out, I can swim, I have respect for water but enough fear of it to do that. They would to physically drag me away, fight me. A fire, if I thought for half a second that there was a quarter of a chance I could get them out, I would go for it.
I live in a trailer, that is essentially a cardboard box with some tin on it. We have tornados here, and everybody likes to make jokes about twisters n trailercourts yeehaw, but it is terrifying to feel your home rock with the wind. I have always stayed put. I have nowhere to go that my animals were welcome too, so I stayed. And I always will.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I do, too. I mean, it's easy to sit here in comfort and safety and say I would never leave them. Since I don't have kids, I wouldn't ever have to make that specific choice but the reality is that a lot of times it might not be physically possible to bring them.

I'm pretty sure I'd be devastated if I did have to leave them. I'm not sure I could live with myself if I did.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My mom actually ran in front of a moving vehicle to save a Pomeranian she didn't even know... I mean, the car was going slow enough to stop, but still, if it hadn't... I have no doubt that in the heat of the moment, my mom would risk her life for just about any animal, whether it was hers or not. She wouldn't even stop to think about it.

As for myself, it depends on the animal. For one of mine or my family's animals... Like my mom, I wouldn't even stop to think about it. For another animal... It would strongly depend on both the animal and my mental state at the time. Likely I would freeze and watch in horror.

A refugee situation, though... Goodness, I don't even know. There would be so many variables, I can't possibly predict... If there was even the smallest possibility I could take at least some of my animals, I'd try. My favorite pets are tiny and I would hopefully be able to take at least one rat, even if I had to carry it in my pocket. I have two or three rats who would likely be fine being carried around. I don't know about the dogs. They would be hard to manage, especially if I was with my parents and sister. We would have enough trouble dealing with my sister's issues (she can't walk and has medical equipment necessary for her health), so dealing with three dogs... It would break my mother's heart to leave them and I know she would do everything in her power to work out a way to save them, but in the end...

Now, if it was just me and I didn't have my family to worry about, I honestly couldn't live without my rodents by my side so if I couldn't take them... With my mental and emotional issues, I don't know what I'd do. I'd probably rather die than leave them. They're the reason I'm still alive today. They saved my life before and if I couldn't do the same for them, I'd be lost. They are my life.

Despite awful backlash from my family and friends, I dropped a wonderful lease on a beautiful house so that I could afford his cancer surgery and treatments. It kept him alive for 10 weeks and pretty much financially broke me (cost me over a third of the yearly income I was making at the time). I'd do it again in a second. If there was some sort of magical button that I could have pushed to transfer his osteosarcoma to me, I would have pushed that button, no second thoughts.
I'm sorry you had to go through that. While not exactly the same, I went though something like that with my very favorite rat, Silver. At age 2, she developed an urgent health issue and needed an emergency spay that cost pretty much all of my savings. It ended up only extending her life by a month... she died a week before our two year anniversary. Even though I only got an extra month, it was worth it and if I had to do it over again, I'd do the exact same thing... Though I may have gone to a cheaper vet.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I love my dogs more than anything, but I wouldn't die for them. Never been in a situation where I had to put myself in danger to save them either. I like to think I would take risks to save them if needed, but you never know until you're in that situation.

As for financial stuff, I don't know what my limit is. We've never reached the point where we've even considered not spending the money on treatment, but we've been lucky that neither of them have had any major health issues.

If I had to leave the country as a refugee, I would probably have them put to sleep. Of course it would break my heart, but then I would know they weren't suffering. If I could take them with me, of course I would, but it's not always easy to just take a dog into a new country, and as a refugee it would be even harder.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I agree with what CptJack said 100%. Anything for my human family but it wouldn't stop me to save them and leave my dog. And since I have a human family there is a finite amount of money that I would spend on a dog to save it.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I'm sorry you had to go through that. While not exactly the same, I went though something like that with my very favorite rat, Silver. At age 2, she developed an urgent health issue and needed an emergency spay that cost pretty much all of my savings. It ended up only extending her life by a month... she died a week before our two year anniversary. Even though I only got an extra month, it was worth it and if I had to do it over again, I'd do the exact same thing... Though I may have gone to a cheaper vet.
Losing a beloved animal is the same, no matter the species. I ended up making the decision to put Loki to sleep 5 days after my 6 year anniversary of adopting him and 4 days before my birthday (he was my 22nd birthday present to myself). For some reason, doing it around anniversary dates like that makes it even harder :( I had no choice about the vet I went to - only one vet at the three clinics I called had ever performed an ulnar ostectomy, as it's a rather rare procedure. Either way, had they quoted me $20K or $50K, I still would have said "do it".

On another note - my dad used to insist to me that if I was abandoned at sea with my dogs, I would chose to eat my dogs before I would choose to die from starvation (this is a really odd conversation, I know). I used to tell him that I wouldn't. While I have never been actually starving to death, I still don't think I'd eat my dogs. Really it would be pointless, because I'd never be able to live with myself afterwards.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I wouldn't even know without being in that situation. Hopefully I will never have to make a choice like that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts