Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheyenne, Wyo. A man said he saved his dog's life after sucking venom from a rattlesnake bite out of the animal's nose.

But then after taking the dog to the vet, he started feeling ill. He went to the hospital and received doses of antivenin. It cost $3,500 per vial and he needed four vials beween him and the dog. both are recovering.

Now thats a love story! :) He said the dog's head swelled up almost three time in size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,377 Posts
Eeeeeeeew! Poor dog! Poor hero after getting the bill for the antivenom!
I'm sure I would have done the same thing. Glad to hear they're both recovering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,277 Posts
I used to live in rattle snake country and the local authorities (parks, vets) advised against doing that. Have to admit I was relieved at the thought that I shouldn't do it. Happily we never had to deal with it. Glad to know both dog and man are doing well. Yikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,532 Posts
we are being trained to do this now (SAR) we have the kits in our gear packs but we are now going over every and any possible scenario. There are a few ways to do this...and many tools useful for it.

I personally dont want to ever have to do this to myself, or my dog..But you betcha i would if it means saving my dogs or anyone elses life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,622 Posts
I didn't think that you were actually supposed to suck the venom out of a snake bite...I think that your supposed to tie something above and below the bite to slow down how fast the venom travels through the blood or something...:confused: It's been 2 years since I've taken a First Aid class...I can't remember...lol

But I'd do whatever I had to in order to save my dogs' life...I could careless about what kind of bill I'd have later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,307 Posts
Cheyenne, Wyo. A man said he saved his dog's life after sucking venom from a rattlesnake bite out of the animal's nose.

But then after taking the dog to the vet, he started feeling ill. He went to the hospital and received doses of antivenin. It cost $3,500 per vial and he needed four vials beween him and the dog. both are recovering.

Now thats a love story! :) He said the dog's head swelled up almost three time in size.
The vials for dog are ok, but spending that kinda money on me???????. I think I'm past the point of diminished returns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
Actually, sucking the venom does nothing to help the victim - the only thing that works to truly slow the venom spread is an Epi-pen, and who has those on hand? (Other than those who are purposely going into the field to study venomous snakes.) This is what I've been told by several members of the herpetological society I belong to. (See sig - I keep a colony of NON-venomous green tree snakes.)

From Rocky Mountain Poison Control Center:

Cutting the skin of a snakebite victim to suck out the poison may be a classic first-aid technique, but doctors now say it’s useless and even dangerous. “Cutting and sucking, or applying a tourniquet or ice does nothing to help,” says Dr. Robert Barish, an emergency physician at the University of Maryland. The outdated measures “may do more harm than good by delaying prompt medical care, contaminating the wound or by damaging nerves and blood vessels,” Barish says in an article released by the university’s School of Medicine and the Rocky Mountain Poison Center.

“The victim should be moved out of harm’s way and transported to the nearest medical facility as soon as possible,” Barish advises. So the best cure for snakebite: a cell phone and a helicopter.
I don't see how the guy needed antivenin since I'm pretty sure the venom needs to be injected into the bloodstream or tissue in order to act. I always believed that stomach fluids would break the venom down (venoms are just complex proteins, and different from true poisons).

OK, just found this on a scientific page about venoms -

Drinking snake or scorpion venom without effect IS normal. They, unlike poisonous animals eg. puffer fish, can be consumed without problem except at incredible high dose.
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~chuaeecc/venom/venom3.htm

It seems like a bogus story all around to me, but $3500 in antivenin is hard to fake... :) Not sure what really happened here, but the guy probably didn't even need the antivenin. That truly... sucks! :D ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,510 Posts
If I weren't passed out nearby from fright of seeing the snake, probably LOL. Don't think that's the most effective way to do it tho
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,942 Posts
I was going to say that was old technology but every one beat me to it.

I will also add that if that method were not outdated I would have NO problem doing this on the dog or myself, but with blood born pathogens I would not do it on a stranger. Selfish? You betcha.. cuz if there is a shot of both of us dying it isn't going to be me!

Along those lines I have done CPR on new born calves both with and without success. Had one of my best cows FINALLY fresshen with a heifer calf.. Oh and then a SECOND heifer calf (twins) and neither was breathing tho I could see their hearts beating. I tried to save both and ended up saving neither. While I was doing that the Cow up and threw her uterus and she ended hemorraghing up dying to. I was doing this while the useless half (husband) was driving to the farm to call the vet. By the time they all got back to where I was I had 3 dead animals on my hands.

I have done some things attempting to save an animal's life that a lot of people would not do. I think I won against death about 75% of the time. Trust me... putting a dog's nose in my mouth for rescue breathing (or venom removal) is not so bad. The worse part would be parting with all that cash!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top