Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Did the breeder OFA the sire and dam and clear them of HD before breeding them? If both the sire and dam (and each of their sires and dams) are cleared for HD then I think there is a low chance of it being HD. Could still happen, but I think the risk goes way down (considering HD is in some part genetic).

·
Registered
705 Posts
I heard from a few people that the Aussies are 50/50 in getting HD because they are not large/big dogs there med...

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not sure what you are saying. Any dog of any breed can get hip dysplasia. It is more common in larger breeds but there are Aussies with it too. No one knows for sure the exact causes of HD but through the years they have attributed it to a culmination of reasons: genetics, environment, and nutrition. If you got an Aussie from unknown stock (with possible HD there), overexercised him/her, and fed them a food that promotes fast growth, you would have a higher chance of having an Aussie with HD than someone who didn't do those things...if that makes sense.

He is young but, someone correct me if I'm wrong, you could get x-rays and have them evaluated by the vet or other governing bodies (PennHip/Orthopedic Foundation for Animals). I think you said this was the next step if the pain pills don't work?

Sucks no knowing what is wrong. Wishing you the best though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts