Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it Cancer?

My pup is a year and a half old Siberian husky.

Hi guys, so I took my dog to the vet about 2 months ago because of that red ulcerated part, it would always open up and let a tiny amount of puss out.

Took him to the vet, and got the area cut open to see if a “foreign object” was stuck in there, turns out it was nothing, the vet said a bunch of puss came out and that he saw “2 bite marks” so he said more than likely something bit him. He also said he didn’t find any kind of solid mass, so he said it doesn’t look like cancer at all.

Doc stitched his paw up, and the paw definitely looked better, returned to normal size.

A month later the paw started doing the same thing, the ulcered area leaks puss and blood, heals, dries back down, then starts to swell again. Now i also noticed that there is some black skin accompanying this, i dont know if its been there for a while, or not, as it was underneath his fur.

I have a vet appointment on Thursday, but until then, i wanted a few opinions, does the ulcerated part and black skin signify cancer? Has anyone encountered something like this?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,095 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through this, and I hope your next visit finds some more conclusive answers about why it's reoccurring. Poor pup must be really uncomfortable! But I'm afraid it is against the forum rules to guess at a diagnosis - even well meaning advice can be wrong and lead to a dog getting injured or sicker, or delay necessary professional treatment. In truth, even a vet can't conclusively say something is cancer without sending samples to a pathology lab for identification, but they tend to be pretty good at recognizing when something isn't likely to be cancer based on its presentation and behavior. Reulceration sucks, but it definitely happens in cases where there isn't cancer as well.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I'd have the paw x-rayed to see if there is a foreign object there, or see if their are changes to the bones and/or nails.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts