Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted Riley a couple of months ago and she is now four months. She has white orange and grey on her legs. Underneath her tail and around her butt turned grey and she also has some spots on her back around her neck that are coming in grey. We don't know what she could be but a catahoula was suggested so I thought I would ask your guys opinions. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The brindle points sure are interesting, aren't they?

Where do you live? I tend to associate Catahoulas with the south, in general, although there are, of course, Catahoulas elsewhere. They are pretty common in my area, and are frequently used for hog hunting.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Could be catahoula in there somewhere. But I agree she definitely doesn't look like a BC/Lab. Actually she definitely isn't because as far as I know she wouldn't have brindle markings if she were. I could see lab being in there but the BC is a bit of a stretch. She looks very very similar to one of my dogs - when people ask what she is I either say 'a mutt' or 'a Heinz 57'.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
We have a friend with a dog marked like that which is a rottweiler, blue tick coonhound mix. (100% certain on parentage).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
We have a friend with a dog marked like that which is a rottweiler, blue tick coonhound mix. (100% certain on parentage).
Interesting, because that's what I've always suspected about Grace! Wisdom panel said differently, but of course that was taken with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Could be catahoula in there somewhere. But I agree she definitely doesn't look like a BC/Lab. Actually she definitely isn't because as far as I know she wouldn't have brindle markings if she were. I could see lab being in there but the BC is a bit of a stretch. She looks very very similar to one of my dogs - when people ask what she is I either say 'a mutt' or 'a Heinz 57'.
labs and border collies can actually both be brindle pointed. It's a rare mismark in labs though.

brindle border collies: http://www.bordercolliemuseum.org/BCLooks/Brindle/Brindle.html

brindle pointed labs: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html

I think she could be anything really. I don't really see lab/bc but could be? I'd guess hound or lab mix of some sort.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks. It will be interesting to see her in two months and what her fur did. I will keep you updated on what I hear. Thanks for the inputs though

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Could be. I've had catahoula people tell me Maisy is for sure a catahoula or cross. (I've also had plott people tell me she is for sure plott or cross, though.)
I've had the same experience with Jubel. In the end you'll never really know, you just love your happy mutt. I mostly call Jubel my snugly brindle mutt now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I love her to death. She is awesome. I think I wanted to know for temperament reasons and what not but surprises are even better

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Well she certainly looks like she's a mix so even knowing the mix of breeds might not help much. No telling which traits she might get from the breeds in her mix anyways. Best to just deal with the actual behaviors of the dog in front of you than try and over anyalize based on what you think her breeds SHOULD be like. Hope she continues to be an awesome girl for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts