Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone can help me out with an issue I've been facing for several months. We have a 2 1/2 year old Japanese Chin that I think may be having depression issues. She had never been without canine companionship until about 6 months ago. When we brought her home, we had another dog who is sadly no longer with us. After he was gone, I noticed a decreased appetite, but attributed it to just the initial stress of being alone. But now, 6 months have passed and I'm still noticing a frequent refusal to eat, slight weight loss, general change in demeanor (no longer that happy-go-lucky pup - more like the "I'm just going to lay around and sulk" attitude), and a significant loss of coat (I am a groomer and I know the difference between a normal season shed and what this dog has!). She has been checked by the vet and there are no diseases or health issues. I am wondering if it truly could be that this dog is depressed because she's just so used to being with other dogs and misses the canine companionship. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife had an analogous situation with her cat. My wife had to temporarily leave her cat to live with her mom when she moved to Texas from S. Carolina. The cat started displaying a lot of the same symptoms you have described. They took him to the vet and the vet put him on Paxil (an anti-depressant). It apparently worked well for the couple of years he was on it. When my wife and her cat were reunited we discontinued giving him the Paxil and all of the symptoms disappeared and have never resurfaced.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Yes. Dogs can experience depression and grief. Some come out of it with time and some do not and may require behaviour modification and/or medication. It is difficult though to ascertain whether it is grief/depression without a COMPLETE veterinary workup to ensure that the behaviour and health issues are not physically based and just coincided with the death of your other dog.

When you went to the vet did he check your dog's thyroid? Any other bloodwork? This is not usually included in a basic exam. Lethargy, inappetance, weight gain or loss and coat thinning are all gross signs of hypothyroidism.

If the vet HAS checked the thyroid, then maybe you should get a referral to a veterinary behaviourist for help with your dog's problems.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When my sister moved and we took over her former place, we also ended up agreeing to take her dog as well, This dog had been through many homes and my sister had taken her from a couple guys who were giving her away at the store, they told her that she was a difficult animal and that everybody else had given up on her.

Anyhow, she had been with my sister for quite some time and had been around the neighbors Chow and Wolfdog for a couple of years (they shared a backyard), after we took over the rent on my sisters place she originally took Sadie with her to the new house, about a week later she brought her to come live with us and Sadie who was normaly too full of energy would do nothing buy lay around and sulk like she missed my sister terribly.

After about 3 or 4 hours of laying around and being depressed we let her out back and she almost instantly snapped out of it when she seen her old friends (the neighbors Chow and Wolfdog), she played outside with them for a little while and then came back in and returned to her deep depression for the rest of the day and night, it got so bad that we called my sister and had her come and get Sadie, as soon as she stepped through the door Sadie returned to her former self, from what my sister says, Sadie has been the perfect dog since returning home, perhaps her being away for a while triggered something inside her brain that told her to behave. She even has a new companion to hang out with now.

·
Banned
363 Posts
Just 2 thoughts:

i) is she depressed or just unstimulated? Previously she had a housemate to play with, stimulate her etc. Without stimulation dogs mostly sleep. Less activity, less eating.

ii) has your own attitude towards or with her changed? If you are feeling sorry for her or are depressed then the dog can be reflecting that.

If the vet doesn't turn up anything, I say try to give her lots of stimulation, something to do.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Since she checked out fine at the vet, is there someplace you could take her so she could be with other dogs. Maybe she just needs a doggie friend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts