Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We adopted this dog about 5 months ago. We have always wondered what he was. We were told that he was a chocolate lab and that he would get darker once on a better diet.

However, he has been to a few different vets (he was heart worm positive when we adopted). The one vet did not think he had any lab in him.

I don't think he is a purebred anything.. but I wondered if he could have some Vizsla in him. Is anyone familiar with this breed?

He is 54lbs and full of muscle!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Without seeing a side shot of his body it is hard to tell. By looking at his head he does look like a vizsla to me. We have a couple that breed these dogs that come into the clinic. They are great dogs!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I see some Labrador retriever in there somewhere. The tail is very thick like a lab and thoughs ears look lab. but Viszla is definatly a possability too

viszlas tend to hold their tails slghtly gay or straight out

and he's too "beefy" for a pure viszla.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I'm also gonna toss in just to confuse issue, some Chessie with that muscled body and color along with some Vizla.
i was thinking Chessie as well....maybe Chessie/Vizsla or even Lab/Chessie, but i definitely see Chessie there....

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I do see vizsla... but also something like lab. Chessie is a good guess as well!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Who cares, what ever he is he's a rascal with a lot of bird-dog in him. He is built like the proverbial brick sh**house and if his intelligence matches his looks he will be a pleasure to deal with on an everyday basis. Lot's of exercise some Obed. and all will be good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I thought he looks a bit like my friends weimeriner (but brown). Hes a lovely looking dog :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I thought he looks a bit like my friends weimeriner (but brown). Hes a lovely looking dog :)
Thats what the vet said too. He kept saying looks like he has some weimy in him.. and thought maybe hound, or pointer or something. My brother has a weimy and way they play and move around in the yard/the agility etc. is almost identical.

He really is a great dog!! Great personality! He loves to go for runs, we take him out for at least 10 k jog a day.

I just looked up Chessie's and I agree he looks like them but does not have their personality (which would make sense if he is a mix with something). He does have lots of energy but knows when it is appropriate to 'turn it on'. Inside the house he is quiet, and when he is outside he knows he can run and play and bounce. He thrives on being close to you. Wherever we are he sits by our feet. Or sit beside you hoping to be pet. I would love to know his story before he was at the pound. He is a GREAT dog. We are so happy that we adopted him. Maybe sometime we will get a DNA test for fun to see exactly what he is ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
IMO weims and vizslas are very similiar in build, but differ in color and size (and temperament!) Regardless, a very pretty pup!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts